Here are some conversation starters from around the world and within your local community to add to your social toolkit.
– The Spanish capital of Madrid was still trying to recover on Monday after a record 50-year snowfall that paralyzed much of central Spain and hampered delivery of coronavirus vaccines. 20 inches and 11 degrees. Video of a massive snowball fight that goes viral. It even had measurable snow in Austin, TX and Nashville, TN.
– 2020 will equal 2016 for the hottest year on record on Earth. Earth is now nearly 2 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than it was in the 20th century, as concentrations of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere continue to rise. 56.95 degrees Fahrenheit was the mark, 1.75 degrees above the 20th century average.
– CES 2021: The 54th annual tech show kicks off Monday for the first time – home entertainment systems, connected fitness equipment and air purifiers are the hottest items to look for in innovation. but the biggest = hologram technology inspired by “Star Wars” could bring a “new dimension” to smartphones
– Anti-return policy: Walmart, Amazon and Chewy don’t want your things. These online giants are starting to say ‘keep it’… They will reimburse you for that fitted hat, but they don’t want it back. Why so nice? It is a question of price. Some returns are more expensive to process and ship than the products actually cost, especially cheap or heavy items. Companies are using artificial intelligence to do the math. Returns can cost businesses between $ 10 and $ 20, not including shipping. So it makes more economic sense to reimburse yourself for that $ 7 PopSocket.
– Podcasts are as old as the 2004 iPod; actually, the term is a mixture of “iPod” and “streaming.” But the Big Pod Boom has arrived more recently: Global monthly podcast listeners have grown from 287 million in 2016 to more than 1 billion in 2020, and are expected to reach 1.85 billion in 2023.
–ViacomCBS Inc. announced Monday that it has signed a distribution agreement with Walt Disney Co.’s Hulu, which puts several of its most popular cable channels on the live video streaming service. The deal adds 14 ViacomCBS cable networks to Hulu’s live television option, including Comedy Central, MTV and the Nickelodeon children’s channel.
– Friday 01/15 = National Bagel Day!
– Douglas Co. launches Tier 2 vaccines and NV State extends mitigation measures for an additional 30 days.
– Over $ 200,000 raised for Clean Up The Lake to collect underwater trash along the 72 miles of Tahoe’s shoreline.
– Rock Tahoe Half Marathon canceled for 2021, Tahoe BrewFest postponed to mid-September
– Tahoe Chamber’s “GoLocal” Campaign and Tahoe AleworX’s “Feel Good Movement” Exceed Expectations with Fundraising
– Prescribed burns resume in Tahoe Basin with mild and warm weather in forecast with little to no wind