A French aristocrat suspected of having murdered his wife and four children before disappearing without a trace, remarried and lived in secret in Scotland for nearly nine years, it was said.

Surprising claims emerged after the Glasgow police arrested a man suspected of being Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès when he arrived at the Scottish airport on Friday afternoon.

This 58 year old man had not been seen since shortly after the massacre of April 2011.

He would have run after the bodies of Agnès, 49, and the children Tomas, 21, Arthur, 18, Anne, 16, and Benoit, 13, were found buried in the garden of the family home. Nantes, in the west of France, along with their two labradors, Jules and Leon.

There were allegations that he had radically changed his appearance through plastic surgery.

Their children – Arthur, 18, Anne, 16, Benoit, 13 and Tomas, 21 – were found buried in the family garden.

A female witness involved in this case told the newspaper Ouest France that De Ligonnès had started a new life in Scotland.

"A very reliable source states that the fugitive even remarried in Britain," the newspaper reports.

There was no indication that this information had been passed on to the police, he added.

The Scottish police said that the "fingerprint" of a man who had landed in Glasgow on the U26884 flight from EastJet on Friday at 2:30 pm matched that of De Ligonnès.

There has been an international hunt for the father since his disappearance

He reportedly used a stolen passport in 2014 belonging to a man named Guillaume Joao.

Mr. Joao's home in Limay, 40 kilometers from Paris, was raided by the police.

A French source of inquiry, however, said: "Mr. Joao is nothing like De Ligonnès, any more than the man who was arrested in Glasgow.

"It may be that De Ligonnès has disguised himself in a radical way over the years, but there are still many questions to solve.

"The digital fingerprint identification is only partial, which is why French forensic scientists are going to Glasgow, DNA testing is already under way."

Police launched extensive search after father's disappearance

Read more

Main reports of Mirror Online

The French newspaper Liberation stated that there were suspicions that De Ligonnès had undergone plastic surgery because his appearance had changed.

The suspect Ligonnès has remained silent since his arrest, while the prosecutor of Nantes, Pierre Sennès, called for "caution".

"Checks are underway to determine if it's good Mr. De Ligonnès," Sennès said.

Stephane Goldstein, lawyer for De Ligonnès' sister, Christine, who claims to be innocent of the murders, said: "We are waiting for the scientific confirmation that it is well Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès."

Another source of investigation said: "He did not try to resist arrest, but the information provided corresponded to what appears on a Europol search card. Purpose of a double check. "

Europol is the EU law enforcement cooperation agency that has been helping De Ligonnès hunt for eight years.

Tributes are left after the death of the mother and children

Last year, police searched underground caves and abandoned potassium mines in the Roquebrune-sur-Argens region of southern France, where De Ligonnès was spotted by a CCTV camera in April. 2011.

He had fled Nantes a few days earlier after his neighbors said they had not seen the family for more than three weeks.

The detectives who visited initially found a sliced ​​leg under the garden terrace, then discovered the bodies of those who had been killed.

De Ligonnès is native of Versailles, home of kings and queens of the pre-revolutionary period of France. He was technically a count able to trace his lineage from generation to generation.

In confiscated emails, he declared himself to be part of a Roman Catholic elite superior to the "masses".

"I think I have a superiority complex, you can call it like that," he writes. "But it is based on a simple observation: I belong to a group of intelligent, determined, balanced and physically and morally healthy people who are rare compared to the masses.

People in mourning gather at a funeral for victims

Recalling her strict and dedicated childhood, De Ligonnès added: "All my adolescence was devoted to religion and faith, under the influence of my grandmother and mother, so much so that I did not rebelled like other teenagers, or chasing girls. "

De Ligonnès was last seen on April 15, 2011, as he was leaving a budget hotel in Roquebrune-sur-Argens, abandoning his car there.

He was carrying a backpack as he walked through a parking lot to the surrounding countryside and was photographed by a camera.

Extensive searches were carried out in the region between April and June 2011 and, acting on new information, the police took them back last year without finding anything.

There was a theory that De Ligonnès could have committed suicide in the days following the massacre, in which case the police were looking for remains of his body.

However, prosecutors had never ruled out the possibility of De Ligonnès living in the street, or being hid by members of his extended family, who own country houses in France.

The ancestors of De Ligonnès, including the poet Lamartine of the nineteenth century, lived originally in a province of southern France called Rouergue.

Five months before the murders, De Ligonnès said he inherited a 22 caliber rifle from his father and started training to target in a shooting club in Nantes.

The receipts found in his home also reveal that he had bought a muffler, a shovel, a two-wheeled cart, lime, and other equipment that could have been used to bury the bodies.

It also appeared that De Ligonnès, who ran several Internet businesses, was experiencing serious financial difficulties. Among those to whom he asked for money was a mistress in Paris.