A grandfather described what happened when a Rottweiler attacked him while he was trying to protect his pet dogs.

Andrew Richards was bleeding profusely from deep injuries after the attack on Willowbrook Park at Thurnby Lodge.

Thurnby Lodge, 49, was injured in the arm by several injuries after the Rottweiler bit his teeth during a walk with his two dogs, an eight-year-old Jackapoo. a Jack Russell and a poodle) named Alfie and a 10-year-old Jack Russell named Jack.

At the time of the incident, the builder was recovering from a heart attack five weeks earlier.

"I was near the children's playground when I saw the Rottweiler, who was not on a leash, and a woman who was pushing a stroller and was carrying a baby." , did he declare.

"I crossed the bridge on the other side to try to avoid the dog, but this one headed towards us.

"Before I knew what was going on, I heard Alfie bark and look clean.

"I could see that the Rottweiler had it in his mouth. Alfie yelped.

Andrew Richards, 48, was left a huge gash after being attacked by a Rottweiler.

"I shot Alfie at me and raised him above my head. The Rottweiler was snarling and jumped on it.

"It did not stop tearing my arms.

"It bit me to the right forearm and continued to slam in the same place.

"At one point, he was hanging on my arm by the teeth. He was trying to drag me to the ground so he could reach Alfie.

"It looked crazy. He wanted to kill my dog.

"I screamed on it but it did not let go. It was terrifying.

"He let go of my arm and then came back constantly to me.

"It only lasted for about a minute and a half, but it seemed like an eternity."

Read more

More about crime in Leicester

Andrew said that he would normally have accompanied his four-year-old granddaughter during a walk in the park.

He said, "The walk was part of my recovery because the doctors said I had to walk two miles a day.

"Ordinary, my little granddaughter would have been with me and the two little dogs.

"But that day, we had parents coming in, so I was in a hurry to get out and go home.

"My granddaughter was not ready for the walk so I left without her.

"I'm glad I did it. It can not bear to think of what could have happened if she had come.

Andrew said that he had gone to the hospital where his injuries had been treated.

"They were infected, so they gave me a lot of powerful painkillers," he said. I was at work, but it was not nice.

"The wounds healed and left scars."

The owner of the animal said that he did not want the Rottweiler to be shot.

"It's not the dog's fault," he said.

"It's the fault of the owners who have not driven on a leash.

"I did not want them to destroy the dog. You just have to be better controlled. "

Andrew said that the experience had shaken him up and left him cautious to walk in the park.

He added: "I always go to the park because I live in the area and that it is convenient and pleasant, but I feel suspicious when I approach the area where the attack took place.

"I try to avoid this part of the park whenever I can.

"I'm also a lot more mistrustful of big dogs now.

"Alfie was fine after the attack, but it made him aggressive to big dogs.

"This Rottweiler is a powerful dog and when I think of that, I feel lucky to be able to pull myself out of my injuries.

"It could have been a lot worse."

Rottweiler's owner, Agata Kokoszka, of Thurncourt Road, Thurnby Lodge, pleaded guilty in the Leicester District Court for leading a dangerously uncontrollable dog and attacked Mr. Richards on June 6th.

She received a two-year parole.

Judge Peter Veils submitted the dog to an unexpected destruction order.

The order states that the dog must only be walked by an adult and must be muzzled and driven at all times in a public place.

If these conditions are not respected, the dog could be destroyed.