A man died during a remembrance Sunday service.
Visitors to Caernarfon Castle, North Wales, heard the man scream for help shortly before noon.
The guests were evacuated from the monument, moments after the observation of the traditional minute of silence.
Air ambulance paramedics rushed to help the injured man, but were unable to save him.
A witness told North Wales Live how a member of the emergency services went to nearby shops and asked staff to lower the blinds when the body was removed from the castle.
"It's very sad to hear," said Eleri Gray-Thomas, head of coffee across the way.
We do not know who this man was, but we think that he was coming from abroad.
All entrances to the castle were blocked with a cordon set up between the town square and the castle moat.
A spokesman for the Welsh Ambulance Service confirmed that they had been called to a medical emergency at Caernarfon Castle.
Nearby paramedics were the first to go to the scene, followed by police and two other ambulances.
The Royal British Legion is believed to have held service at the attraction.
Caernarfon Castle and North Wales Police provided no further details.