A doctor has called for more research on deadly food allergies following the death of a teenager shortly after eating a hamburger in Greenwich to celebrate his 18th birthday.

Owen Carey, who was allergic to dairy, suffered a fatal reaction on April 22, 2017 after eating buttermilk grilled chicken at a Byron burgers restaurant at the O2 Arena.

An inquest at the Southwark Coroner's Court on Thursday revealed that Mr. Carey of Crowborough, East Sussex, had not realized that the chicken had been marinated because the buttermilk ingredient did not appear. On the menu.

He collapsed less than an hour after an initial allergic reaction to his meal and was taken to the hospital where he died.

Testifying, Dr. Robert Boyle, allergy specialist, said the probable cause of death was an anaphylactic reaction to his food, especially cow's milk.

Dr. Boyle, of St Mary's Hospital in Paddington, called for a better understanding of the deadly food anaphylaxis, which would be responsible for about 150 deaths in the UK during the 25 to 30 years. last years.

He said: "Deadly anaphylaxis is rare and very fast. In general, people die 30 to 40 minutes after eating.

"It's misunderstood, we do not quite understand why this happens so fast and why it usually affects teens and young adults."

"I do not think we're learning enough, I do not think it's a big thing to have a national registry where we can collect that information."

The investigation revealed that Mr. Carey, who was suffering from asthma and various other food allergies, was not wearing his Epipen at the time.

But Dr. Boyle said it was "unlikely", based on the available evidence, that an Epipen would have affected the outcome.

Pathologist Andreas Marnerides explained the medical cause of death as an exacerbation of asthma caused by an allergic reaction / anaphylaxis from food.

However, he stated that he "would not disapprove" of the idea of ​​making the food-borne allergic reaction the leading cause.

In a statement, Professor Gideon Lack, an allergy and immunology consultant, said that Mr. Carey had eaten only half of his grilled chicken before starting to have "tingling in the lips" and problems with it. # 39; s stomach.

He added that the symptoms had started at 2:45 pm and that Mr. Carey had collapsed at 3:40 pm while he was walking with his girlfriend, suffering from breathing difficulties.

Members of the public, including a RAF doctor, tried to revive Mr. Carey.

The investigation learned that when the paramedics arrived, Mr. Carey was "silent, not breathing, and was without a pulse".

Earlier during the investigation, Clodagh Bradley's attorney, who represents Mr. Carey's family, claimed that the omission of buttermilk in Byron's menu at the time could to make a customer believe that it was a chicken breast.

Aimee Leitner-Hopps, Byron's technical manager, who is responsible for ensuring that the teams are fully trained in food safety, said many of the ingredients in the dishes were not on the menu.

She said: "If you have an allergy, you should ask for information and the team will be able to provide this information in the allergy guide."

Ms. Leitner-Hopps said the staff is now trained to ask clients directly if they have any allergies or dietary requirements.

At the time of Mr. Carey's death, all staff members had received online training on allergens, as well as on-site training.

The investigation, which will be heard by coroner Briony Ballard, will end Friday.