Aftermarket engine bursts into flames and destroys Pinarello bike

Aftermarket engine bursts into flames and destroys Pinarello bike

The dangers of DIY bike modifications were learned from an Australian Septuagenian whose Pinarello bike was melted after his retrofit e-bike battery went up in flames.

Gerry Ryan, 79, suffered minor burns and saw his bike being written off as he drove down Adelaide's Corkscrew Hill, which is regularly used by the Tour Down Under WorldTour.

An alleged short in the circuit caused the battery to burn with reports of ten-foot flames. Ryan's bibshorts then also got out before he climbed in his saddlebag with the Co2 canisters, which also went up in flames as the fire spread across the dry earth.

Fortunately, nearby firefighters were watching a small bush that allowed them to reach the flame and keep it from spreading in time.

Australian TV channel Nine messages I participated in the incident and spoke with Ryan, who said of his mishaps: "When I came up the hill, my electric bike caught fire and I threw it down."