Altarnun, Bude Town, Gunnislake and Kilkhampton all advance in the Cornwall Junior Cup | news

Saturday 11 January

Bond Timber Cornwall Junior Cup (fifth round)

FOUR clubs in the Post Zone have made it past the last eight of Cornwall’s Junior Cup this season after four superb draws.

Duchy Premier Altarnun took extra time to win 3-2 rivals of the Tregrehan Mills league.

The visitors started brilliantly but found themselves in the goal in five minutes because a corner was not eliminated and was hit towards the goal. Although the referee did not assign it, the Altarnun linesman signaled that the ball had crossed the line.

Both sides enjoyed pressure spells with Josh Smith forcing the home goalkeeper to overthrow a shot over the crossbar. However, “the nuns” were in balance before the stoppage, as a pass in the penalty area saw the ball fall on Adam Porter who picked up the ball, rotating and firing at the far left of the goal.

The second half saw the northern part of Cornwall dominate, but without any end product, which means that the draw went to extra time.

Sam Smith came up after a ball over the top, but was unable to convert. The pressure from Altarnun finely paid off when Charlie Wivell hooked on a free ball and in the lower right corner.

This time “the nuns” did not take their feet off the gas and tried to put the game to bed. In the second half of extra time, Altarnun takes a corner kick and with Tregrehan leading the ball into the air and not clearing it, the ball goes down on Rob Baker who puts the ball back on top of everyone and into the net.

With the wind rising it was becoming difficult for the players, and with less than five minutes of extra time, Tregrehan pulled one back. But a little behind-the-scenes cunning helped visitors to watch the game as they remain en route to their first Cornwall Junior Cup crown.

Opponents of Altarnun on Saturday, Gunnislake leading the table also won after a 3-1 victory over the Duchy Premier team’s St. Breward at Butts Meadow. Jarryd Kelly, Carlton Farnham and Liam Bryant were on target for the Lakers.

A young team from Kilkhampton scored an extraordinary performance by winning 2-1 at West Cornwall FC near Redruth.

After a dominant first half, which saw them play on several occasions, they finally took the lead in the hour through Ewan Reeves, who added a second shortly after.

The hosts, who are unbeaten in ten games of the Trelawny championship, got a place in the stands following an error behind them, but the Rooks resisted.

They will be joined in the last eight by Duchy Two, the Bude Town fliers who beat St Just 2-1 at Broadclose Park.

Visitors made the two-hour journey in good shape after losing only once in 12 games in the Trelawny League Division One.

St Just arrived with a coach full of traveling fans and a lot of optimism after a strong start to the season, and made life uncomfortable for Bude in their early exchanges.

It was until the tenth minute that a clean pass by skipper Ryan Leverton was superbly hooked through the box by Adam Smith in Brad Palmer’s path who made no six-meter errors.

The game was a poor deal and St Just was given a half hour penalty, but Bude goalkeeper Kieran Stanbridge was up to the task with an excellent save to his left to keep the score 1-0 in the middle time.

Bude controlled second 45 and deservedly doubled the lead by the time Steve Box converted a penalty won by Brad Palmer.

He seemed to break the spirits of San Giusto who never seemed to come back into play until the 90th minute. A punishment awarded to the edge of the visitors area was curled up to create a nervousness in the last few minutes, but Bude was too strong in the end and marched into the quarterfinals next month.

Add a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.