Activision-Blizzard released financial data for the first quarter of the year this afternoon. Below we will detail some of the most relevant aspects mentioned and specific to Blizzard
Most relevant information
- Blizzard segment revenue grew 7% year-over-year, driven by strong growth in the Warcraft franchise, with the Shadowlands expansion of World of Warcraft building on substantial growth since the launch of World of Warcraft Classic in 2019. Blizzard it had 27 million monthly active users in the first quarter.
- World of Warcraft’s “Shadowlands” expansion continued to perform well after its record launch in November, with strong annual growth in first quarter franchise net bookings. World of Warcraft saw great outreach, engagement, and participation in value-added services, along with a particularly high number of new players joining the community for the first time, driven by initiatives to improve their joining experience.
- Hearthstone’s latest expansion, “Forged in the Wastes,” launched on March 30 and is on track to generate net expansion-over-expansion reserve growth for the second consecutive release.
- Ahead of its release later this year, “Diablo II: Resurrected” received very positive feedback during early testing in April, and the alpha’s online audience was the highest in a Blizzard playtest.
- On mobile devices, “Diablo Immortal” entered its second phase of testing and is on track for a global launch later this year.
- In April, Overwatch fans around the world returned to celebrate the first weekend of the 2021 Overwatch League season. The league inked a multi-year partnership with Bilibili Esports for the exclusive rights to broadcast the league’s games to the league’s growing and passionate fan base in China.