Boeing's chief executive, Dennis Muilenburg, lost his other title as president of the builder, nearly a year after the first of two accidents of his 737 Max, which claimed the lives of 346 people.

Boeing announced Friday that the company's directors had decided to separate the two positions and elected one of their own, David L Calhoun, to hold the position of non-executive chairman.

Earlier Friday, a group of international aviation regulators released a report criticizing Boeing and the Federal Aviation Administration on Max's flight authorization procedure. The group stated that Boeing had not properly informed the FAA of changes to a flight control system involved in the accidents.

"The board has full confidence in Dennis as CEO and believes that this division of labor will focus efforts on managing the company, with the board playing an active supervisory role," Calhoun said in a statement. from Boeing.

Muilenburg said in a statement that he was in favor of splitting the positions of CEO and President.

In April, the board of directors objected to a shareholder resolution to divide the positions amid criticism of Boeing's response to accidents. The measure was rejected by a margin of 2 to 1.

The Max was Boeing's best-selling aircraft until its grounding in March after collisions in Indonesia and Ethiopia. The company has set aside billions to compensate the airlines involved.

The US Department of Justice and Congress are investigating the company, which also faces many lawsuits from families of deceased passengers.

Muilenburg is scheduled to testify on October 30 in front of a House committee examining the certification of the aircraft.

Initially, Boeing was optimistic that the Max could fly back several months ago, but the flight software repair took longer than expected. In June, FAA test pilots discovered another problem in the aircraft's computers, the extension of the grounding.

Muilenburg recently said Boeing expected the device to be back in service by the beginning of the fourth quarter, but the company has still not officially released its fix to regulators. US airlines do not expect the plane to come back at least before January and it could be longer in other countries.