Owen Carey

image copyright
PA Media

image Description

Owen Carey celebrated his 18th birthday when he died

According to a coroner, the burger chain Byron's menu "deceived" a teenager who had a fatal reaction after unintentionally eating buttermilk marinade on a chicken burger.

Southwark Coroner & # 39; s Court heard that the menu did not mention its contents.

Owen Carey, a lacteal allergy, died on April 22, 2017 – his 18th birthday – at the company's O2 Arena office.

The coroner said, "neither Owen nor the staff has been notified."

Assistant medical examiner Briony Ballard said it was clear that he had "been made aware of the ingredients".

Family "watch over allergies"

Ms. Ballard said it was not clear that training the restaurant chain on allergens would have been effective for "less diligent employees" at that time.

On the back of the menu was a warning of allergens, as was common in the industry in 2017. The warning is now displayed in a larger format.

The coroner said it was clear that the teenager and his family were very alert to his allergies.

The lack of information on the menu meant that "neither Owen nor the waiters were advised of the presence of buttermilk in the chicken".

She added that both were "misled" by the description on the menu.

image copyright
Getty Images

image Description

The investigation revealed that Mr. Carey ate half of the chicken before symptoms appeared

The investigation has heard that Mr. Carey had eaten half of his chicken before he felt a tingling sensation on his lips and stomach problems.

He collapsed in front of the London Eye 55 minutes later.

Mr. Carey of Crowborough, Sussex, later died at St. Thomas's Hospital in central London.

Members of the public, including an RAF doctor, tried to revive him, but when a paramedic arrived, he was "still, not breathing and dull," the hearing said.

Ms. Ballard provides a narrative conclusion on the death of the teenager.

She is expected to make recommendations to prevent future deaths at a later date.