Toluca, Mexico. November 14, 2020
Canadian Lance Stroll (Racing Point), 22, surprised by achieving the first pole position of his career in Formula 1, on a wet track, at the Turkish Grand Prix, this Saturday at the Istanbul Park circuit, after a qualifying session in which the Spanish Carlos Sainz was sanctioned with three places on the grid.
The stewards reproached Sainz for having “uselessly annoyed” the Mexican Sergio Pérez (Racing Point) during qualifying, for which he will start from 16th position on the grid after setting the 13th fastest time in qualifying.
Britain’s Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes), who has a first chance to equal German Michael Schumacher’s record of seven world titles, will start sixth, while his last rival in the fight for the crown, his Finnish teammate Valtteri Bottas, will start ninth.
Qualifying took place in grim conditions, with rain interrupting the first part (Q1) for almost 45 minutes.
On Sunday’s starting grid, Stroll will line up alongside Dutchman Max Verstappen (Red Bull), who started as a qualifying favorite after dominating free trials.
In the second row will be the Mexican Sergio Pérez (Racing Point) and the Thai Alexander Albon (Red Bull).
The weather is slightly better announced on Sunday, with a moderate possibility of light and scattered rain before and during the race, according to Météo-France for the Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA).
. Starting grid of the Turkish GP:
Lance Stroll (CAN/Racing Point-Mercedes)
Max Verstappen (NED/Red Bull-Honda)
Sergio Pérez (MEX/Racing Point-Mercedes)
Alexander Albon (THA/Red Bull-Honda)
Daniel Ricciardo (AUS / Renault)
Lewis Hamilton (GBR/Mercedes)
Estéban Ocon (FRA / Renault)
Kimi Raikkonen (FIN/Alfa Romeo Racing-Ferrari)
Valtteri Bottas (FIN / Mercedes)
Antonio Giovinazzi (ITA / Alfa Romeo Racing-Ferrari)
Lando Norris (GBR / McLaren-Renault)
Sebastian Vettel (GER/Ferrari)
Charles Leclerc (MON / Ferrari)
Pierre Gasly (FRA / AlphaTauri-Honda)
Kevin Magnussen (DEN / Haas-Ferrari)
Carlos Sainz Jr (ESP / McLaren-Renault) * Sanctioned with three places
Daniil Kvyat (RUS / AlphaTauri-Honda)
Romain Grosjean (FRA / Haas-Ferrari)
Nicholas Latifi (CAN/Williams-Mercedes)
George Russell (GBR/Williams-Mercedes)
. Turkish GP Qualifying Session Results:
- Lance Stroll (CAN/Racing Point-Mercedes) 1:47.765
- Max Verstappen (NED/Red Bull-Honda) 1:48.055
- Sergio Pérez (MEX/Racing Point-Mercedes) 1:49.321
- Alexander Albon (THA/Red Bull-Honda) 1:50.448
- Daniel Ricciardo (AUS / Renault) 1: 51.595
- Lewis Hamilton (GBR/Mercedes) 1:52.560
- Estéban Ocon (FRA / Renault) 1: 52.622
- Kimi Raikkonen (FIN/Alfa Romeo Racing-Ferrari) 1:52.745
- Valtteri Bottas (FIN / Mercedes) 1: 53.258
- Antonio Giovinazzi (ITA / Alfa Romeo Racing-Ferrari) 1: 57.226
Eliminated in Q2:
- Lando Norris (GBR / McLaren-Renault) 1: 54.945
- Sebastian Vettel (GER/Ferrari) 1:55.169
- Carlos Sainz Jr (ESP/McLaren-Renault) 1:55.410
- Charles Leclerc (MON / Ferrari) 1: 56.696
- Pierre Gasly (FRA / AlphaTauri-Honda) 1: 58.556
Eliminated in Q1:
- Kevin Magnussen (DEN / Haas-Ferrari) 2: 08.007
- Daniil Kvyat (RUS / AlphaTauri-Honda) 2: 09.070
- George Russell (GBR/Williams-Mercedes) 2:10.017
- Romain Grosjean (FRA / Haas-Ferrari) 2: 12.909
- Nicholas Latifi (CAN/Williams-Mercedes) 2:21.611
Note: The time of the qualifications is divided into three parts. The cars that set the 15 best times during the 18 minutes of the first round (Q1) go on to the second (Q2), which lasts 15 minutes. The top 10 of Q2 fight for pole position during the 12 minutes of the third session (Q3).