The government says 50,000 of Britain’s most vulnerable people will take care of the packages later this week.
The packages, for those most at risk that the government has asked to protect for the next 12 weeks, will contain vital food and supplies, said Community Secretary Robert Jenrick.
It arrived when it announced that the council across the country was on an “emergency basis” to ensure that those who were protecting themselves were getting the support they needed and that vital public services would continue.
People with a range of serious underlying conditions – including severe lung conditions – were asked to avoid as much contact with the outside world as possible as part of the government’s plans to reduce fatal accidents.
The government confirmed that those people’s first vital pack patch had already been delivered – with 50,000 scheduled for delivery by the end of the week.
Today the death toll of Covid-19 in the UK has reached 1,228 after an increase of 209 in just 24 hours.
All parts of the country are now on an “emergency basis,” said Jenrick.
Speaking at the government press daily briefing, he said: “This is an unprecedented step in peacetime, we have not done anything like this since World War II.
“This means that we are setting up strategic coordination centers across the country.”
Jenrick said that each center will be led by gold commanders: the police or the chief of emergency services specially trained to handle the most serious incidents.
He added: “This weekend sees the start of extraordinary steps to support the most clinically vulnerable while protecting against the coronavirus.
“We will support these people in this difficult time and the scale of such an operation has not been seen since World War II.”
The government said it was bringing together senior members of the emergency services, with local authorities and the NHS to “lead communities in this difficult period, from Cornwall to Cumbria,” he added.
The members of the armed forces will be placed in each of these groups, Jenrick said.
The press conference came a few hours after government minister Michael Gove declined to say when all NHS workers would receive coronavirus tests, despite widespread concern among doctors.
Jenrick told the Downing Street briefing that millions of personal protective equipment (PPE) items were being delivered to NHS staff.
“We simply cannot and should not ask people to be on the front line without the right protective equipment,” he said.
He said the government had set up a “national supply distribution response team” to deliver PPE to the needy, supported by the military and other emergency services.
About 170 million masks and nearly 10 million items for cleaning equipment are among the items that are delivered to NHS health funds and healthcare facilities.
“Everything has been delivered to 58,000 NHS trusts and healthcare settings, including doctors’ surgeries, pharmacies and community suppliers,” he said at the briefing.
“Every single medical, dental office and community pharmacy has received a PPE delivery. All nursing homes, hospitals and home care providers have received or will receive a delivery shortly.”
The tests for frontline staff were tested over the weekend, with a view to a wider launch, in a move that would allow those who self-isolated with potential symptoms to return to service if they get clarified.
But requests were growing for much more extensive tests, with practitioner Dr. Rosena Allin-Khan, a deputy at work and a doctor, who said it was “absolutely urgent” for health professionals to have access to the tests “immediately”.
Although Gove claimed that the government met the initial target of 10,000 tests per day for a wider audience, requests to introduce a larger program increased.
And official data later showed that tests only reached 6,961 between 9am on Saturday and the same time on Sunday. The Department of Health could not immediately explain the disparity.
Gove declined to say when all health and social workers will be tested for the virus, instead he told Sophy Ridge Sky on Sunday: “I hope we will be able to test as many first-line operators in the first phase as possible.”
But across Britain the public has taken a step forward: the NHS has confirmed that 750,000 people have signed up as volunteers to help others overcome the coronavirus crisis, three times the initial target, less than a week later. the announcement of the appeal.
Recruitment has now been suspended to allow for application processing and to get the “volunteer army” in motion, said the Royal Voluntary Service (RVS).
The Service said it was “absolutely overwhelmed” by the response to what has been the biggest call for volunteers in England since World War II.
On Tuesday, the government launched an appeal for 250,000 people to help vulnerable people who isolate themselves for 12 weeks.
Just two days later, it was announced that over double (560,000 people) had registered and the target was raised to 750,000.
Now it has been revealed that the new goal has been achieved.
Those who sign up will help provide purchases and medicines to those in need, transport patients and NHS equipment, or check in and chat on the phone with people at risk of loneliness due to self-isolation.
Catherine Johnstone, managing director of RVS, said: “On Tuesday evening, the Royal Volunte Service prepared to launch the biggest call for volunteers in England after the Second World War.
“Less than 24 hours later, we had reached our target of 250,000 registrations and today that number is 750,000.
“We have been absolutely overwhelmed by the response and cannot thank the public enough. As history shows, it is often in times of crisis that we get together and become our best selves.”