Cumberland County is implementing further operational changes starting Monday to help reduce the spread of coronavirus in the community and protect residents and employees. On March 20, the county facilities were closed to the public, except by appointment in some departments. The new changes will significantly reduce the number of employees who report locally and further limit services.
“This is a pandemic, and if we are strongly encouraging people to stay home, then the local government should lead by example by limiting the exposure of our workforce and contributing to the potential spread of this virus,” said the director of the county Amy Cannon.
Details on these operational changes are available on the COVID-19 County Closures and Cancellations web page at co.cumberland.nc.us/covid19closures. The information is also listed on the web pages of the individual departments.
Cumberland County’s solid waste management is changing a few days and the facility’s operational services. The Wilkes Road landfill will no longer be open on Saturday. This went into effect Thursday. The Ann Street landfill will no longer be open on Saturdays starting April 11th. For social distances, only one lane will be open at the scales. Please be patient because there may be delays.
All other convenience sites are open on Saturdays for household waste only. From 11 April, waste or furniture will not be accepted on construction sites.
The Public Health Department is open to the public, but all services require an appointment. This includes WIC, medical records and environmental health. Call: 910-433-3600 or email: email@example.com. Include your name and phone number in the email. Visitor restrictions are in place and posted on the website.
The following departments are closed to the public, with reduced staff and services on site. They are open to telephone and email support.
• Animal control: adoptions are suspended within the next 30 days. People looking for lost pets can view pets on petharbor.com. If they see their lost pet on the website, they can call to schedule a recovery time. No owner surrenders to animals. Call 910-321-6852 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Electoral Council: visit the website of grandine.net to download a voter registration application and an absentee request. Call 910-678-7733 or send an email to email@example.com.
• Community development will see customers by appointment. Payments can be sent to Cumberland County Community Development, 707 Executive Place, Fayetteville, NC 28305 or P.O. Box 1829, Fayetteville, NC 28302. Call 910-323-6112 or visit co.cumberland.nc.us/communitydevelopment.
• The Community Transportation Program limits services to essential and non-emergency medical appointments and services. Call 910-678-7619 or visit co.cumberland.nc.us/transportation.
• Inspections: includes central authorization, application of the code, building inspections and community transport. Call 910-678-7600 or visit co.cumberland.nc.us/planning.
• Register of Deeds Office: real estate registrations received electronically and by post will be processed daily. Certified copies of birth, death and marriages will be processed by post and via “Get Certificate Now” on our website at www.ccrod.org. No marriage license will be issued until further notice. No notary oath until further notice. Call 910-678-7775 or visit the website.
• Social Services: Cumberland County’s Department of Social Services is closed to the public but continues to serve customers online, by phone or email through the website at ccdssnc.com.
• Tax Administration: Tax invoices can be paid online and by post. Call: 910-678-7507
• Workforce Development Center / NC Works: Call: 910-486-1010; state website, visit ncworks.gov; or local website, visit co.cumberland.nc.us/ncworks
Unemployment aid in N.C.
The only way to apply for unemployment in New York is through the job security division. The website is des.nc.gov and the Customer Call Center is 888-737-0259. You can also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The customer’s call center can assist with complaints, reset accounts or passwords and answer specific questions.
Jon Soles is the Cumberland County Government Public Information Specialist. You can reach him at 910-321-6579 or email@example.com.