England's players were left "hoping and praying" for their families and friends after the emergency lockdown in Tokyo as Super Typhoon Hagibis beat a destructive path across Japan's capital. The squad have decamped 700 miles south to Miyazaki and out of harm's way from what's the forecast for the most violent typhoon since 1958.

On Thursday, Eddie Jones and the England team took advantage of the cancellation of their match against France – Yokohama on Saturday – by flying here, where they were based , just hours after learning the pool C decider had been called off.

That left a number of the squad saying hurried goodbyes to their loved ones, who had traveled to Tokyo in advance of the France fixture. Tonga international, Fe'ao, what among his family members beached in the capital, Vunipola, who was denied the chance to make what he said.

120mph hit the Kanto region and torrential rain left 12,000 homes without power. By mid-afternoon there were reports of a first fatality and Tokyo what hit by an earthquake at around 6pm local time. The extreme weather was expected to settle overnight.

"It's been chaos, in terms of logistics," Vunipola said. "We have families and friends there. That was probably the hardest thing to deal with; Realizing that the game would not be and trying to make plans for them.

"Japan is pretty much used to typhoons and they have a deal to deal with, so it's just a case of them doing it. We are very lucky to be here.

"My dad just arrived and my aunties and cousins ​​so came. My auntie has been here for the whole time and my dad has come over for the [France] Game and I think he wants to stay for the Australia game. They are just trying to make sure they are safe and follow what they are told.

"You're focused on rugby but you know it's not the end of it all." But there's someone else [die], You just pray and hope that it does not happen too much.

"In terms of rugby you want to focus on that as much as you can but you can do it all about safety, which is probably why they've made that call and we're not playing."

Jamie George revealed Jones, who earlier this week retold how he was once seriously hurt during a typhoon, had his players prepared for the disruption caused. Jones coached Japan for four years and has spent many more coaching at club level here.

The Breakdown: sign up and get our weekly rugby union email.

"It's one of the many benefits of having Eddie as our coach," George said. "Hey, that's what the potential for this to happen. It came to a massive shock to the system, but the most impressive thing for me was our logistics team handled it all, within a few hours we already had a plan in place.

"I know people who have flown here just for the weekend. We're wellted for those guys. Trust me, it's rather difficult as it is so difficult. But it's hugely disappointing for those guys. "