The v7.40 update for Fortnite Battle Royale was released on February 14th on PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and Mobile. Here you will find everything we know about the infantry rifle, the crossbow, the zipline changes and all other improvements in the latest patch!
Thanks to some contributions by Eric Williamson, the design lead for Fortnite, information about this v7.40 update has been released in advance.
However, the highly anticipated patch v7.40 was delayed twice. The release was initially scheduled for February 12 before being postponed to February 13. Another unanticipated issue meant that the patch did not go live until 9:00 GMT (4:00 EST, 1:00 am) on Valentine's Day, February 14, PST.
The infantry rifle is now available live in the game.
A new "Infantry Rifle" was announced in the game on February 11th and finally went live on February 14th.
The infantry rifle was announced ahead of schedule in the game.
The old-fashioned rifle seems to be based on the famous M1 Garand, but we were not sure if it was intended until the scores went live.
Here's everything you need to know about the new weapon:
- Available in the variants Common, Uncommon and Rare.
- Causes 41, 43, 45 damage. 2x headshot multiplier.
- Can be found from ground loot, chests and vending machines.
- Uses medium ammo.
- Fires rapidly moving projectiles without being damaged.
When you've completed 13 of the free "Overtime Challenges", you'll receive a free 8th Season Battle Pass!
#SharetheLove Valentines surprise
The #SharetheLove event is even better! Valentine's Day is upon us and Fortnite developers have an exciting gift for all players:
"Anyone who has completed 13 free overtime challenges until February 27 will receive the forthcoming 8th Season Battle Pass for FREE! If you do not have an outfit, you now have the chance to win several for free and receive the Battle Pass Add two outfits from season 8 and you can earn up to five more – save your V-Bucks, this one is with us! "
Here are the details we have so far:
Overtime Challenges and Rewards:
Would you like to purchase a free Season 8 Battle Pass? Start with release v7.40 and finish 13 free overtime challenges until February 27 to receive the upcoming 8th season Battle Pass for FREE! You'll also unlock 5 new rewards, including the Valentine Wrap and Vines Contrail, to meet those challenges.
For the current Battle Pass owners, Overtime Challenge rewards will include new unlockable styles for the Trough, Powder and Onesie outfits.
Fortnite fans have been desperately looking for some kind of prompt that gives them the option to use Ziplines or not while navigating the map.
In a post on Reddit, Eric Williamson confirmed that this would be implemented soon, significantly reducing the chance of automatically using a random auto-random: "Added Zipline interaction buffers, and using a Zipline will cause immunity to crash. "
This is what the patch notes from February 14th say:
Changes to Ziplines
- Ziplines can now interact with each other.
- Ziplines provide crash resistance.
- Ziplines now have an audiovisualizer icon.
The gift is back for a limited time.
Give away – for a limited time
According to the patch notes, gifting is back in Fortnite for a limited time. It is available from today until 22nd February. For Valentine's Day, you can send the Heartspan Glider to your "special person" for free until Friday, February 15th.
Although Crossbows is NOT brand new, it will be back in time for Valentine's Day on February 14th.
"Triumphant Return", read a message from the game about the crossbows. "Cupid's Crossbow will not be arched for a limited time. Defeat your opponents with stealth and precision. "
Here's everything you need to know:
Cupid's Crossbow – Time-limited element
- Epic rarity.
- Unlimited ammo.
- Bodyshot damage: 79.
- Head damage: 197.
- Can be found in floor loot and chests.
- Adds 1 environmental damage.
The crossbow returns to Fortnite.
After months of complaints about the power of Fortnite's Hand Cannon from professional and occasional players, it seems like the incredibly powerful pistols are finally found in the patch v7.40 – at least when it comes to damage to structures.
"Hand cannon structural damage has been reduced from 150 to 100," Eric Williamson said on Twitter.
Below you will learn everything that has changed:
- Epic rarity
- Reduced environmental damage from 150 to 100.
The hand cannon can not easily rip structures in v7.40 patch countries.
Eric Williamson also confirmed that Rocket Launchers would get some important improvements with the February 14 patch.
For starters, the powerful explosives now require a much longer recharge (increase from 2.52 seconds to 3.24 seconds). The bigger change, however, is that they are no longer found in loafers!
Williamson said, "It's also worth noting that we're making a change to remove the rocket launchers from the trunk – even though they are still in storage jars (and slightly more than there now available) and vending machines."
Here are the official notes:
- The availability of rocket launchers has been moved out of the chests and into the supply waste.
- Rocket launcher removed from chests.
- The chance of receiving a rocket launcher from storage waste has been increased from 25% to 50%.
- Epic rarity
- The reload speed was increased from 2.66 to 3.42.
- Now available only at vending machines
- Legendary rarity
- The reload speed has been increased from 2.52 to 3.24.
The controversial Stormwing aircraft will again receive a small Nerf in the v7.40 update, as they are no longer able to fly through structures and destroy them:
- The ability of the X4 Stormwing to break structures and large objects has been removed.
- Small props are still destroyed by direct hits from an X4 Stormwing.
Skins and cosmetics
Other new content that you can look forward to as always are skins and various other cosmetics. We will keep you up to date with any leaks and information as they become available.
Fortnite v7.40 Patch Notes
The patch notes for the Fortnite update on February 14th are quite long. Here is everything that was not discussed above:
LIMITED TIME MODE TURNS
As we mentioned last week, we will be moving faster and faster through LTMs this week. The first mode is described below. Check the in-game client on Thursdays and Saturdays to see what other modes are available!
LIMITED TIME MODE: CATCH!
In this mode, all guns were removed. The only weapons are grenades and other items that can be thrown or thrown. Go inside and throw the enemies back in the lobby!
- Available grenades / items:
- smoke grenades
- remote explosives
- pulse grenades
- Shock grenades
- Breast spawn and ground spawns set to 100.
- Can only receive consumables from chests, floor unions and storage waste.
- Increase the supply waste during the game.
- Faster cycle times.
- Increases the number of drop stacks.
LIMITED TIME MODE: TEAM RUMBLE
Two big teams fight in an action-packed mode for the Victory Royale, in which the first team to score 100 eliminations wins!
- Reduced chance that the storm will land near the middle of the map.
WEAPONS + ITEMS
Improvements to Bush Consumables.
- Now absorbs a weapon damage before being removed by the owner. Fall damage will not remove the bush.
- Now translucent (only for the Bush bearer!) To better see the environment.
- Fixed an issue where projectile weapons fired inaccurately when other players were attacked at close range.
- Resolved an issue that blocked explosive splash damage when players had no cover.
- Added pop-up cup settings to standard playlists
- We're introducing a few major changes to the standard Fortnite playlist as a test. We've seen these settings in Popup Cups lead to more engaging combat and allow players to get more consistent reward risk rewards.
- Due to the positive feedback we received during these special pop-up cups, the following adjustments are made:
- 50 health (or shield) based on your health when excretion occurs.
- 50/50/50 materials fell at the removal
- 500/500/500 cap on materials
- Crop rate increased by 40%
- We'll be watching the feedback on this change closely – play some games and let us know what you think!
- Final Circle adjustments
- The range has been increased by 48%.
- Shrink time increased from 45 seconds to 75 seconds.
- PC, Mac, and console players can now squat in edit mode.
- Gamepad players can assign this via custom gamepad controls.
- Note: This functionality will soon be transferred to the mobile phone.
- The initial turbo building timer has been reduced from 0.15 to 0.05.
- Added the ability to swap the item in the currently selected slot with a new item by pressing interaction instead of jogging.
- Added UI text to show players that they can use the swap.
- Not available for touch input.
- Floor traps automatically build up a floor section if needed. You must have the required resources.
- Logitech and Razer RGB peripherals now respond to emotes.
- Sneaky snowmen are destroyed when they fall from a distance.
- Stand on the head of a devious snowman to avoid falls.
- Removed HUD bar for minigun superheat mechanic.
- The spacing of the Bottle Rocket sound meters has been adjusted to match the maximum removal of sound effects.
- A Bottle Rocket ad for the explosion of rockets has been added.
- Aim Assist adjustments
- We've added a delay to the Assignment Wizard Snapshot feature when the "Cut Target" button is activated. Each time the button is pressed after the first one, a time delay of up to 5 seconds will elapse before the lock-on target hold effect is applied.
- We're making this change to avoid situations where players are spamming the Aim Finish button on enemies, resulting in the crosshairs being held indefinitely.
- This change was intended to prevent the locking mechanic from being abused while maintaining the same Aim Assist feel. We will closely monitor the feedback on this change.
- Fixed an issue where Bottle Rockets did not target specific angles of inclination.
- Cozy campfire logs no longer block movement.
- Prevent the automatic reload of the weapon from canceling Emotes.
- Fixed an issue that caused traps through walls of the Dusty Divot lab tunnel.
- Fixed an issue where automatic pickup did not occur when landing when parachuting.
- Fixed an issue where a player would switch to the build tool without traps if he pressed the button to equip traps.
- Fixed an issue that could cause Paraglider items to fire immediately after teleporting with a Rift-to-Go, blocking subsequent skydiving.
- Fixed an issue that blocked the building from under a mounted tower.
- Fixed an issue where snowmen placed on the map would appear invisible or under the map.
- New Tournament Series – "Share The Love Series" (Solo & Duo)
- Available from February 14th to February 24th.
- The players participate in four division tournaments:
- Open division
- Prospectus department
- Contender Division
- Champion Division
- If you score enough points during a nocturnal session to get a PIN, the next higher division will be unlocked.
- If you earn a pin in a Champion Division session, you'll be in Round 2 – the Champion Division Final!
- Sprays for the "Share the Love Series" are granted on the basis of the highest achieved division, including the Champion Division Finals.
- All divisions are running at the same time and have the same tournament schedule. The full schedule for your server scope can be viewed on the Events tab.
- New Tournament – "Trios One Day Cup"
- Available on 17 February
- Grab some of your best friends and join the Trios One Day Cup, from a fully open tournament to an intense final round with the best trios in a single day.
- The tournament takes place in three rounds – earn a PIN each round to progress.
- The full schedule for your server scope can be viewed on the Events tab.
- Tournaments can now take place over several rounds, with players having to earn a pin to unlock the next round of the tournament.
- Several tournaments can now be run simultaneously.
- The maximum matchmaking time for tournaments has been reduced from 5 minutes to 4 minutes.
- This value limits the amount of time a player can wait for a match in a tournament before creating the best possible game at that time.
- The minimum number of tournament players has been increased from 80 to 90.
- Streamer mode can now be used during the tournament.
- Leaderboards of the games are now fully available in each region for each tournament session. These can be accessed on the tournament page by clicking on a tournament session.
- Add audio when squadmates are ready in the lobby.
- The following audio enhancements have been made for mobile / switch platforms:
- Improve the parachute jump.
- Add more variations to the effects of the shooting environment.
- The Emote of the Air Horn had only a variation of Mobile / Switch.
- Stats v2
- The ability to track all your games in one place and view them on all platforms.
- This includes the ability for mobile and switch players to view their stats in-game.
- Break statistics for each limited-time mode.
- Players will now receive a pop-up message informing them when a player you reported recently went into your account.
- When he is eliminated from the storm instead of saying, "You have eliminated yourself," the text now says "Defeated by the storm."
- Improved appearance and implementation of the Bad Network Indicator and updated Bad Connection Indicator UI to track bad or heavy ping.
- Yellow indicates a bad status, red indicates a serious status. Red flashing indicates a signal drop
- Slash commands have been improved and re-enabled in chat windows.
- Fixed an issue where you could switch between different tabs in the background if you were in the Player Feedback menu.
- The missing icon to remove the marker map on Mac has been fixed.
- Fixed that the Battle Pass information was sometimes not displayed properly in the lobby.
- Fixed an issue that did not properly calculate teammate elimination numbers and names in large team modes.
- Fixed an issue where weapon animations would sometimes be played twice for each shot fired at reruns.
- The gift returns for a limited time
- The gifting function is available again for a limited time! You can send or receive gifts from friends until February 22nd.
- Fixed an issue that caused wrong or duplicate speech bubbles to appear in the lobby for party suggestions.
MOBILE PHONE, MOBILE PHONE
- Add an optional custom edit button that lets you edit without having to touch the screen. This allows the player to edit with his crosshair, similar to other platforms.
- The Targeted Edit button is located in the Additional Buttons section below the HUD Layout Tool.
- The "Edit" and "Reset" buttons now capture touches.
- No more editing via the edit button.
- Add visual feedback to many mobile buttons to provide instant feedback and help diagnose problems in the community.
- Now save the last saved hud layout in the player's cloud backup.
- Fixed a problem with the blocked input message on the phone when leaving a game.
- Fixed an issue that caused some key bind widgets to not display correctly on mobile devices with controllers.
- A quick change from a weapon to a consumable no longer triggers the equipped weapon.
- Fixed several issues that stopped turbo-building or firing the weapon when switching weapons or between Build, Edit, and Combat modes.
- Fixed a problem with the touch input that caused the controllers to stop responding while scrolling.
- Fixed several issues that supported more controller hardware, and resolved many issues with parts of the interface that might not be navigable properly by controllers.