Blizzcon is approaching, which will take place virtually this weekend, and some Blizzard games take stock of the past year. In the case of Hearthstone, the Year of the Phoenix allowed it to reach a whopping 23.5 million active users during 2020.
This past year, Blizzard generated exclusive content for Hearthstone based on a single theme, which this time was the Year of the Phoenix. Thus, the most popular digital card game in the world revolved around this theme and these were some of the novelties:
– Ranked mode has been changed and the progression and reward systems have been completely revamped.
– More than a dozen balance updates released between major versions.
– Card packs updated to include duplicate protection.
– Hearthstone received its first new class since its launch: the Demon Hunter.
– Various in-game events were organized, such as the Fel Fire Festival and the Masquerade Ball.
– The Hearthstone Book of Heroes told the origin stories of Jaina, Rexxar, Garrosh, Uther and Anduin.
– The battlefields received pirates, elementals and the old god along with multiplayer groups and Darkmoon prizes.
– Hearthstone received its first minikit, the Darkmoon Races.
– Duels launched introducing a new game mode that offers the fun of Dungeons against other players.
– Finally, the Hearthstone Masters Tour crowned a new world champion, Kenta “glory” Sato from Japan.