The Argentine men’s basketball team, who had already qualified for the AmeriCup 2022, completed its participation in zone A with a historic defeat against local Colombia 71-63, in the sixth and last match of the preliminary stage.
At the Evangelista Mora Coliseum in Cali, the team led by Gabriel Piccato against his Colombian counterpart with the following progression: Argentina 19-15, 33-30, 50-46 and 63-71. For Colombia, it was their first triumph in official duels against Argentina, after having faced each other 26 times since 1945.
Vildoza and Schattmann, the offensive flagships of the third segment. The point guard scored 7 and the guard 6 for the National Team to maintain the advantage over Colombia (50-46) with 10 minutes remaining to close the game.
&- CABB (@cabboficial)
The representative from Albiceleste had started this window with a wide victory over Chile by 99-65, in a match played on Sunday night, and with that triumph he had secured his ticket to the continental tournament. The Argentine team this Monday felt the absence of forward Máximo Fjellerup (San Lorenzo), who was preserved for suffering a severe blow to his right calf.
The Cordovan base Jose Vildoza (San Lorenzo) was the main route of attack of an Argentine team without scoring, with a production of 15 points (2-4 in doubles, 3-6 in triples, 2-2 in free), 6 assists, 2 rebounds and a robbery in 36 minutes, according to the FIBA Americas report.
The guard Leonel Schattmann (Boca) fulfilled an acceptable task and finished with 10 points, 5 goal passes and 4 rebounds in 35m. On the other hand, the Colombian team featured point guard Hansel Atencia, who finished with 17 points, 3 assists and 2 rebounds in 34 minutes.
In another match played on the day, Panama defeated Uruguay, 77-71, through zone B of the qualifying stage. In this way, the Panamanian cast, led by the Puerto Rican Flor Meléndez (exDT of Obras Basket and Unión de Santa Fe) obtained the qualification for next year’s contest.
- Colombia (71): Hansel Atencia 17, Pablo Rojas 12, Tony Trocha 2, Michael Jackson 9, Juan Tello 15 (fi) André Ibarguen 10, Luis Almanza 3, Gianluca Bacci 0, Divier Pérez 2, Hanner Mosquera 2, Jorge Salazar 0. DT: Guillermo Moreno .
- Argentina (63): José Vildoza 15, Leonel Schattmann 10, Martín Fernández 4, Federico Aguerre 3, Tayavek Gallizzi 9 (fi) Javier Saiz 4, Fernando Zurbriggen 7, Matías Solanas 5, Lautaro Berra 4, Franco Baralle 2. DT: Gabriel Piccato.
- Progression: Colombia 15-19, 30-33, 46-50 and 71-63
- Referees: Vázquez (Puerto Rico) -Díaz (Puerto Rico) -Salgueiro (Uruguay)
- Stadium: Evangelista Mora Coliseum (Cali)
According to the criteria of