By Bob Dunn, The Berkshire Eagle

PITTSFIELD – "Because of me, somebody died."

Those words, spoken by Peter Campbell, came moments after he pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter and other charges Thursday in the death of Anthony Gamache of Goshen.

Campbell, 22, of Pittsfield, confessed the court and said he was remorseful for his role in Gamache's Death, adding that he did not have anything to complain about.

"It should not have happened," he said.

Campbell admitted to his role in the death of Gamache, 29, who was allegedly shot by Campbell's co-defendant, Laquan Johnson, during a marijuana deal in the Big Street lotus in Pittsfield on Nov. 18, 2014. He What has been sentenced to four years in prison, but he has served about four years of that while awaiting trial.

Berkshire District Attorney Joseph Yorlano, Berkshire District Attorney Joseph Yorlano, Berkshire District Attorney.

She described Gamache as the love of her life and a gentle soul, whose absence in her life and the lives of her children has left an impact that resonates today, including still paying off his funeral expenses.

Gamache was shot in the care of Cooley Dickinson Hospital at Northampton for treatment of his wound.

Yorlano said Gamache was insisted on being taken to Northampton for treatment, about an hour's drive away, because he was a baby, who Yorlano described as the "rock" of the family.

Gamache was transferred to Baystate Medical Center in Springfield, where he was treated and released.

The next day, while recuperating at home, Gamache fell unconscious and died. An autopsy determined that he died due to a blood clot caused by the gunshot wound.

Campbell was tagged with the two people who were playing.

Campbell as the shooter they were upset about Gamache's death and Campbell what they knew.

So Campbell told police he shot the shot, but at that time everyone, including police, was gamach would survive his injury.

Campbell admitted at the time he was arrested for the shot because he was under pressure.

As the investigation proceeded, Johnson was identified as the other person with Campbell.

Johnson was arrested in March 2016 and remains in custody. He is expected to go on trial for his charges, including second-degree murder, early next year.

Campbell, too, what charged with second-degree murder, among other offenses, but a plea deal reached with prosecutors within the past few days allowed him to plead to involuntary manslaughter.

Campbell's attorney, Jared Olanoff, said his client had no idea Johnson would shoot someone that night.

Campbell had provided the Berkshire District Attorney's Office with an undisclosed deal with Campbell.

Prosecutors insisted during a pretrial hearing this year that there was no deal in the place and there had been no consideration of a deal up to that point.

Olanoff said that he had just started his life in Judea. John Agostini ruled in early September. Campbell went to trial first, in mid-September -November, with Johnson's trial to follow later.

In all, Campbell pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter, two counts of armed assault with intent to rob and witness intimidation.

He was sentenced to 4 1/2 to six years in prison at the Massachusetts Correctional Institution at Cedar Junction.

He was given credit for 1,451 days of served time in custody.

Bob Dunn can be reached at, at @ BobDunn413 on Twitter and at 413-496-6249.

If you'd like to leave a comment (or a question or a question) about this story with the editors, please
    email us. So we welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by
    filling out our letters and submitting it to the newsroom.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.