The Iron Dome missile system fires interception missiles as rockets are launched from Gaza to Israel, as shown in the city of Ashkelon, Israel, on November 13, 2019.

Copyright of the image
Reuters

Legend

Ceasefire reported following two days of violence

A ceasefire between Israel and the militants in Gaza came into effect after two days of intense fighting in months.

Egyptian and Palestinian sources said the truce started at 05:30 (03:30 GMT). Israel has not commented officially.

Before the fighting ended, a family of eight was killed in an Israeli air strike in Gaza, Palestinians said.

Thirty-two Palestinians died in violence, according to local sources, triggered when Israel killed a militant leader.

Israel says that more than 20 of the Palestinian victims were militants.

Dozens of other Palestinians and Israelis have been injured, according to medical sources on both sides.

The Israeli army said that more than 400 rockets had been fired at the militant group of Palestinian Islamic Jihad (JJP), while Israel was conducting waves of air strikes against what it claimed to be party targets.

Multimedia playback is not supported on your device

Legend of the mediaGaza militants retaliate with rocket fire – then Israel retaliated with new air strikes

Violence erupted after the death of Israel, Baha Abu al-Ata, senior PIJ official, during a strike that took place before dawn on Tuesday. Israel said it was responsible for many rockets fired from Gaza and that it was planning an imminent attack.

The most lethal incident of those two days of fighting occurred Wednesday night when an airstrike against a house in Deir al-Balah, in central Gaza, killed the family of eight people.

Gaza's Ministry of Health, led by the militant group Hamas, said all the dead are civilians, including a woman and a child.

The Israeli army said the strike had killed PIJ commander Rasmi Abu Malhous, who was leading a rocket unit.

  • Life in the Gaza Strip
  • Is peace between Israel and the Palestinians out of reach?

After the entry into force of the ceasefire, Nickolay Mladenov, UN special envoy for peace in the Middle East, said that the UN and Egypt had " worked hard to prevent the most dangerous escalation in and around Gaza from leading to war ".

In a tweet, he called on both parties to "show the greatest restraint and do their part to prevent the bloodshed"".