James Gunn was reinstated as author and director of Guardians of the Galaxy 3 after being fired by Disney last year.
The 51-year-old filmmaker, who had stood behind the two previous installments of the Marvel franchise, came under fire when old tweets reappeared, making September 11 rape and pedophilia easy. Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn described Gunn's behavior as "unsustainable" and broke the link with him.
According to Deadline, the decision to reinstate him was taken months after discussions between Disney and Marvel. Horn was reportedly convinced by Gunn's public apology and a series of meetings.
"My words almost a decade ago had completely failed at this time and the unfortunate efforts at provocation," Gunn said back then. "I have repented them for many years – not only because they were stupid, not at all funny, completely insensitive and certainly not provocative, as I had hoped, but also because they do not reflect the person I am today or was for some time."
Stars from the first two films shared their support for Gunn after his removal, including Bradley Cooper, Zoe Saldana, Chris Pratt and Dave Bautista, who claimed that he would not return unless Gunn was reinstated. "To be honest, I do not know if I want to work for Disney," he told Jonathan Ross.
After being removed from the Guardians' third film, Gunn had signed to make a sequel to Suicide Squad for Marvel's rival DC. It has been agreed that production will begin after Gunn completes his work on the DC sequel. Gunn's original script written before his release is used. The Guardians franchise has earned over $ 1.6 billion worldwide to date.
Gunn was pronounced in his criticism of Donald Trump, tweet that the US is in a "national crisis with an incompetent president". Conservative The Daily Caller has unearthed tweets from 2008 and 2009 that revealed a series of offensive jokes. Gunn has not tweeted since his apology last summer.