Jose Holebas scores a late equalizer as Southampton draw 1-1 with Watford at St Mary's

The Saints' long wait for another home win continues after they won a 1-1 draw with Watford.

Before they play again at St. Mary's, their bleak record will lead to a single home win in a calendar year.

It was frustration again, because a game they should win brought only one point.

Saints had a worrying moment after only four minutes when Gerard Deulofeu got behind the back of the line.

Fortunately for Saints, he had to hit a shot from a tight angle on the right, and Alex McCarthy could make the shot at his close post.

Watford always caused problems when they rushed forward, and Isaac Success was only prevented by a good sliding block from Wesley Hoedt.

Manolo Gabbiadini, who played in a 4: 2: 3 – 1 on the right side of the right hand, had the first attempt for Saints, but his curling shot from outside the area went over the crossbar.

Hoedt got even closer in the 19th minute when he had a free kick eight meters away, but could only select the goalkeeper.

Only a minute later, the saints broke the dead end.

Again it was poor Watford defending himself against Ryan Bertrand when, inexplicably, Roberto Pereyra did not clear and was attacked by Danny Ings. The loose ball fell to Gabbiadini, who had the rather simple task of going home.

Watford's pace at the break looked so dangerous, but their willingness to defend with great commitment was undoubtedly questionable, and the Saints had good reason to be optimistic if they were able to limit the threat they faced.

Deulofeu tested it as he broke forward and McCarthy worked his way up from a tight angle on the right after 32 minutes, but the keeper was back in the defense.

Two minutes later, Maya Yoshida almost doubled the advantage of the saints with a header from 12 meters.

McCarthy was again asked to keep Watford out of the game as Pereyra scored from 20 yards for an attack on the target.

Saints had another great chance of getting a cushion before the end of the first half when Bertrand's low cross picked Stuart Armstrong perfectly. His first attempt was with Ben Foster, who rescued the defense.

Both sides had to change due to an injury five minutes before the break when Danny Ings was replaced by Charlie Austin, while Troy Denney came for Will Hughes for Watford.

The saints began the second hour with a big goal, and Gabbiadini came within a few kilometers to score as he ruffled a shot of inches from 25 yards wide.

To the other end, Denney showed his threat by flanking the nearby post, but it was a pretty routine stop for McCarthy in goal.

Watford had a big appeal for a penalty, which was rejected after 58 minutes when Nathaniel Chalobah was defeated under the challenge of Bertrand with McCarthy rescued the follow-up shot.

It looked very good, but referee Simon Hooper remained untouched.

There were wild celebrations of Charlie Austin after he thought he had hit after 66 minutes. Nathan Redmond cut the ball back to Austin, whose shot needed a distraction to find his way into the net.

However, Yoshida stumbled backwards out of the way as he headed for the goal and was marked offside even though he did not appear to have intervened in the game, which meant it was not allowed.

It also cost the saints, as Watford equalized eight minutes before the end.

The saints sat low as the distance from James Ward-Prowse to Jose Holebas was deflected just outside the area.

He drilled a wild deep shot that distracted Cedric Soares heavily and gave McCarthy no chance.

Three minutes later, it almost got worse when a header hit the crossbar in a crowded group of players from a Holebas corner.

At the final whistle for Saints Buos, another mistake in converting a lead to a win failed.


Leave a comment

Send a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.