The councils closed hundreds of suggestions earlier this month as part of the fight against coronavirus after the government issued a guide stating that a trip to the local landfill was not “an essential trip”, although their closure had not been specifically requested by ministers.
Announcing the changes – described for the first time in the Daily Telegraph on Tuesday – in the House of Commons, Jenrick told parliamentarians: “I ask for advice to plan the organized reopening of household waste collection sites – I expect this to happen in the coming weeks and we will publish the revised guide shortly. “
Jenrick’s friends said they expected the guidelines to be published later this week, which could potentially allow suggestions to be launched as early as next week.
Dave Renard, a spokesman for the local government’s Environment Association, said the councils “want to open them as soon as possible” as long as the sites are “compatible with its essential travel directive”.
Recycling centers “can only reopen when they have sufficient staff and social removal measures are in place to protect staff and members of the public, which remains crucial,” he said.
The staff should have had masks and visors, he added, adding that “to safely manage the flow of visitors and pent-up demand, the police will have to manage inevitable traffic queues on the sites”.
Cllr Renard added that local authorities should consider other “support measures, such as a system of authorizations and longer opening hours” to manage the demand of the local population.
A spokesman for the county council network added that the reopening councils “would not be without challenges – requiring measures of social distance, traffic management and coordination across the country.
“Above all, there must be clear guidance for both the police and the public about what constitutes an essential journey to a household waste recycling center during the blockade.”