Release date: Friday, September 13, 2019, 9:12 am
Referee chief Mike Riley admitted that VAR have committed four Premier League mistakes so far this season.
Riley, a former referee and executive director of the official Professional Match Match Officials Limited (PGMOL), spoke to the attendees at the annual Premier League meeting in central London on Thursday.
Riley called two penalties to be awarded to Manchester City and West Ham, and a Newcastle goal should be ruled out for offside.
He is expected to announce to the high-level chairman that Leicester midfielder Youri Tielemans should have been sent off on August 31 for his challenge against Bournemouth's Callum Wilson.
The decision to deny City a penalty when David Silva stumbled into the box on 25 August by Jefferson Lerma of Bournemouth was considered a mistake, as was the failure to give Hammers striker a penalty Sebastien Haller when he was fouled on August 31 by Norwich's Tom Trybull.
Also on the 31st of August Fabian Schars The goal for Newcastle against Watford would have been to exclude Isaac Hayden in advance for a handball.
Riley told me Sky Sports News In the incidents of Silva, Haller and Tielemans this is an indication of the high bar that set the Premier League to lift the decisions of the referee on the pitch cases.
"If you look at the four rounds of play, 227 incidents have been checked," he said.
"That said, we've changed six decisions, and (and) we think we should have changed a total of ten."
"This will give you an overview of where VAR can help and add value to the game. But it also shows that it is still a question of leading a game of Premier League football on the pitch. "
It is also assumed that the clubs at the meeting discussed the length of the summer transfer window.
Two years ago, the clubs voted to postpone the deadline, which was the end of August, to a pre-season date.
The reason for the decision at the time was that some clubs found potential player withdrawal in the first few weeks of the campaign disturbing.
However, some managers – notably Mauricio Pochettino of Tottenham – have not set consistent match dates for the entire continent, as players can still be lost to foreign clubs after closing the Premier League window.
The matter was raised at the meeting but no decisions were taken and it will be re-discussed in November.