Moldy jam: should you eat what's under it?

Theresa May drinkingCopyright of the image
/ Getty Images

Legend

Theresa May says that she's eating jam after removing the mildew from the surface, this is reported

The toast appears. The butter is spreading. Then you unscrew the lid and there you go: a circle of white and blue hairy mold looks at you from the jar of strawberry jam.

Not very tempting, but according to reports in the Daily Mail, it is not enough to return Theresa May scrapped.

The UK's prime minister reportedly told key ministers, during a discussion on ways to reduce food waste, that she scraped the mold and ate what was underneath.

  • Theresa May "scratches the mold of jam"

But is it a good idea?

Well, the Food Standards Agency does not recommend eating foods that are obviously rotten or containing mold.

He says this is especially important for people in vulnerable groups, including children, the elderly, pregnant women and people with weakened immune systems.

However, Michael Mosley has feasted on jam and a range of other tasting products, under the direction of mold expert Patrick Hickey, for a BBC documentary in 2014 .

The jam with a thin layer of mold can be recovered, he says.

Copyright of the image
BSIP / Getty Images

If you remove all mold and a few inches below to remove spores difficult to see, the jam must be consumed safely.

And it's not just jams that are still edible despite some mold, according to Michael Mosley's research.

Cheese

Copyright of the image
David Silverman / Getty Images

He says that once you've cut the moldy part (making sure the knife is not contaminated with mold), cheddar and parmesan cheese are good to eat.

As dry cheeses, they do not provide the moisture needed for mold growth and do not normally penetrate below the surface.

Some cheeses, of course, are deliberately infected with fungi. Penicillium roqueforti gives its flavor to blue cheeses such as Stilton and Roquefort cheese.

Soft cheeses are the most important to watch. The presence of mold suggests infection not only by unwanted fungi, but also by harmful bacteria such as listeria or salmonella. If this happens, throw it away.

Bread

Copyright of the image
ullstein bild / Getty Images

While digging in the bottom of the bag, you leave a piece of neglected bread covered with small pieces of white and blue mold. Cut these pieces, toast and everything will be fine, says Patrick Hickey.

But you really have to look at the type of mold.

"The time when you really have to worry about bread is when there are black pieces."

If you see orange, yellow or black mold stains, throw away the bread, he advises.

The FSA warns people against moldy bread.

It is said that stale bread can be used safely in some recipes.

Fruits and vegetables

Copyright of the image
Simon McGill / Getty Images

Fruits usually last better than vegetables because fruit acids keep away harmful bacteria, but beware of apples.

They will stay a long time, but if there is a puncture in the skin, fungi can get in, says Patrick Hickey.

"There have been serious outbreaks in the past, cases of poisoning people by drinking bad apple juice, which contains a toxin called patulin."

How about a soup made from these long forgotten and slightly gooey zucchini and carrots hidden in the bottom of the fridge?

Better not. This mud is caused by bacterial colonies growing on the surface. "You will probably have a very bad stomach ache in a few hours, followed by stomach cramps and diarrhea," said Patrick Hickey.

Nuts

Moldy nuts are particularly dangerous because they host a fungus called Aspergillus flavus.

"This fungus produces one of the deadliest toxins known to mankind," said Patrick Hickey.

"The toxin accumulates in the liver and can cause liver cancer.If there is no mold on the shell and the inner part is sealed and protected, everything should be fine. pass."

And the important bit: You can be flexible with the dates "best before" or "sell before", but do not risk a serious food poisoning by eating foods whose expiry date is exceeded, "warns Patrick Hickey.

The FSA Council

Some mold species can produce toxins known to have adverse effects in humans and in animals.

Although it is possible to remove mildew and a significant amount of the surrounding product to eliminate all the invisible toxins present, there is no guarantee that it would eliminate them all.