A three-year-old "perfect" boy was found dead in the bathtub after his mother let him wash.
Aayan Ishaq was rushed to hospital after being found face down in the water at his home in Longsight, Manchester, by his mother Shahrish Idris, 28.
She said that she let him play in the bathtub for 10 to 15 minutes.
The single mother was sentenced for neglecting a child after leaving her unattended.
However, it was not possible to determine exactly how the boy died, the cause of his death being described as "unverified" in a post-mortem examination.
Judge David Stockdale stated that Ms. Idris "did not harm Aayan" and "did not cause her death", but was guilty of "cruelty" and "endangering".
A second charge concerned an incident in which Aayan had eaten three of his mother's anti-depressant tablets after sitting on a kitchen worktop for about three minutes.
Ms. Idris told a forensic investigation that her son had spent most of her day playing outside and then asked to take a bath to play with her toys.
She said that she thought the water was rising to her chest and that she waited five or ten minutes with him before going downstairs to get his clothes.
When Mrs. Idris, who could not hear her son from the main room on the ground floor, came back, she "found him lying in the bath."
When asked how he was lying, she said, "I'm not really sure, I tried to block this day."
She claimed to have brought her out of the bath into her room and dried her down, saying that the phone operator had asked her to do CPR "but I was so scared. and panic that I could not do it. "
When asked if she had carried out other rescue attempts, such as word-of-mouth, she replied, "I was too scared, I could not."
She added that at one point she had disconnected the bath and let the water run off.
When asked why, she replied, "I do not know, that's what I thought I would do."
Paying tribute to her son, she said, "He was an adorable boy. He had recently started at the nursery, 15 hours a week. He loved going there.
"He loved to play, he loved playing with his nephews and nieces, he always listened to me, he was just the perfect little boy.
When paramedics arrived home shortly before 11:40 pm, Aayan was rushed to the emergency department of the Royal Manchester Children 's Hospital.
The latter's death occurred shortly after midnight on March 27, 2017, after resuscitation attempts failed.
Two pathologists stated that they could not exclude an unnatural death such as drowning, as the boy was found immersed in the water.
But they added that a natural death, such as a sudden cardiac arrest, also could not be ruled out.
Police coroner Paul Devine said there was no sign of injury and that any wrongdoing was excluded.
However, Ms. Idris was cautiously interrogated and charged with two counts of negligence in which she pleaded guilty in October 2017.
She was sentenced to six months of suspended imprisonment.
There was contact between the family and local children's services around Ms. Idris's mental health and a serious case review was conducted on behalf of the Safeguard Council after her death.
Valerie Charles, who wrote the report, said there were areas of learning, including better communication between agencies, but said, "There really was nothing that could have predicted or prevented that.
"The family was not often reported to the agencies. Mom's presentation was generally very positive.