Monteferro still points to the sea

On the northwestern slope of Monteferro are the J3 Coast Batteries that, together with the military complexes of San Vicente, Cabo Udra and Silleiro, shielded the Rías Baixas from enemy attacks, having been active for just under 30 years. Those in Nigrán were built as a matter of urgency when the civil war broke out in 1936 on land that covers just over 20 hectares and designed to control entry to Vigo by sea. At first, it was equipped with two Munáiz Argüelles 150/45 1903 six-ton ​​guns, whose shapes are reminiscent of those that appear in an iconic cinematographic work (Star Wars), a year later another one was installed and its projectiles were capable of reaching distances of around 14 kilometers, benefits that at that time were beginning to be fair. The pieces that were already obsolete at the time of their placement caused them to go into reserve in the 1960s, turning the military compound into a site for maneuvers and a destination for military service, until in the early 1980s it was declared abandoned.
Guarded by two surveillance ‘sentry boxes’, the enclosure is made up of six buildings, their artillery and annex buildings such as a laundry, a mine and a water source, as well as a construction located on the top destined for control and radio equipment. at present the elements register different degrees of deterioration. Word of mouth affirms that there was also another cannon since a few meters from the monument A la Marina Universal there is a visible concrete base, although it housed a large antenna. The telemetry bunker had a floor plan of 45 square meters, the powder magazine 20 and the remaining four, which in total add up to 300.5 meters, were intended for barracks, kitchen, bathrooms and others such as stables. Today the structures of the buildings are in a dilapidated state, although much better preserved than those of the sister enclosure of Silleiro, and the Community of Montes en Man Común de Monteferro has a new use for it. The three cannons were linked by a line of ammunition of which currently only a slit remains in the ground and from one to three there was a distance of approximately 120 meters. The second was donated by the Army to the municipality of Cotobade and was exhibited as an ornamental piece in the open air, although it was finally deposited in a plot. In 2015 they announced their recovery to be installed in Cape Udra but little else is known about it. Today the area is very attractive and highly frequented. At the end of the route it consists of a picnic area that overlooks the Estelas Islands and where the second sentry box marks the end of the enclosure.

His return to Monteferro
The 24,750 square meter military facilities, after being abandoned, were returned to the ‘Monte en Mano Común de Monteferro Neighborhood Community’ and announced on May 4, 1989 as ordered by the ‘Lieutenant General Chief of the State Logistics Division Major of the Army in document number 6-1465 ‘. This is stated in the document of the delivery certificate of the complex and to which this newspaper had access, materialized by the captain of the quartermaster, Antonio Lemos Mariño, on behalf of the Ministry. The writing also refers to the two artillery pieces given for ornamentation. Specifically, those of Monteferro correspond to numbers 32 and 48 of the 68 that in total were built in Spain and later distributed by Ferrol, Ceuta, Menorca, Tenerife, Las Palmas, Mallorca and Cádiz. However, it was not until June 16 of that same year when the coast cannons were officially handed over from the hands of the 76th anti-aircraft artillery regiment in a document that could be interpreted as a delivery note signed by the colonel director of the disappeared USTM, Juan Martínez. Spend.
The return of the set was carried out thanks to the repeated requests of the provisional board of the neighborhood mountain that at that time was chaired by Jose Castro González, to the point that the matter was debated in the plenary session of February 25, 1984, five years before the return was made effective. The document that contains the petition refers to the discrepancies that have arisen between the representatives of the community and the historic socialist councilor Humberto Juanes. The lack of understanding arose because Castro requested that the recovery of the space should be carried out in “a good state of conservation” and Juanes declined to receive them as they were. Finally and unanimously, the Corporation agreed to make the request although with the clarification made by the mayor.

.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.