Prince Felipe: Queen Elizabeth II’s husband hospitalized “as a precautionary measure”

  • Drafting
  • BBC World News

47 minutes

Caption,

Prince Philip is 99 years old.

The Duke of Edinburgh, husband of Queen Elizabeth II, was admitted to a hospital Tuesday afternoon “as a precautionary measure” after he felt ill, Buckingham Palace said in a statement.

The 99-year-old Prince Philip was transferred to King Edward VII Hospital in London, the note added.

A source from the Palace told the BBC that traveled by car to the hospital, where he was admitted on the recommendation of your doctor.

The duke had been feeling unwell for a few days but this has no relation to the coronavirus, the source added.

He added that he is “in good spirits” at the hospital, where it is expected to remain for a few days resting and under observation.

Queen Elizabeth II, 94, chose to stay in Windsor.

Last month, the Palace announced that Prince Philip and the Queen had received their covid-19 vaccinations from a family doctor at Windsor Castle.

The couple had been undergoing coronavirus lockdown at Windsor Castle in England with a small group of domestic workers.

In addition, they celebrated Christmas at their Berkshire residence, instead of holding the traditional royal family reunion at Sandringham (Norfolk, East England) country house.

A spokesman for Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s office said he sent his “best wishes” to the duke as he spends “a few days off in hospital.”

Presentational grey line

Analysis by Jonny Dymond, BBC Royal Correspondent

But the Palace spokesmen have been very insistent on emphasizing that this it was not an emergency hospitalization otherwise preventive.

The duke has been in and out of the hospital on various occasions over the years.

But, in general, his last years have been marked by his health and energy. He quit smoking the day he married the Queen, he has never been a heavy drinker and for decades he was a keen athlete, working steadily to stay strong and fit, when others might have been tempted not to try as hard.

The last time he was seen in public, he appeared to be in good health, he was standing unaided, and on Tuesday afternoon he walked to the hospital, where he arrived by car.

Presentational grey line

In December 2019, the Duke spent four nights at King Edward VII Hospital, where he was admitted as a “preventive measure” to be treated for a “pre-existing condition.”

He was subsequently discharged on Christmas Eve and was taken to Sandringham’s country house in Norfolk (eastern England), where he spent Christmas with the Queen.

The Duke of Edinburgh retired from his official duties in 2017. In this photo, he is seen alongside Queen Elizabeth II and other members of the royal family during the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in May 2018.

Caption,

The Duke of Edinburgh retired from his official duties in 2017. In this photo, he is seen alongside Queen Elizabeth II and other members of the royal family during the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in May 2018.

The duke did not attend the events to mark the anniversary of the Battle of Jutland on “doctor’s recommendation” in 2016, before retiring from his official duties in 2017.

Presentational grey line

Now you can receive notifications from BBC Mundo. Downloada our app and activate them so you don’t miss our best content.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.