Qatari millionaire businessman denies killing 66-year-old pedestrian in his £ 250k Rolls Royce Wraith

|

A millionaire Qatari businessman accused of killing a pedestrian in his £ 250,000 Rolls Royce near Buckingham Palace insisted in court today that he was not “driving recklessly”.

Hassan Nasser Al-Thani, 41, denies causing the death of Charles Roberts, 66, while he was driving a purple Rolls Royce Wraith around the Hyde Park corner.

Al-Thani is charged with driving “without due care and attention and without reasonable consideration for other road users” when his Qatari-registered car collided with Roberts.

Hassan Nasser Al-Thani, 41, pictured, appeared via video link from Doha, Qatar, at Westminster Magistrates Court on Monday afternoon, where he pleaded not guilty to causing Charles's death. Roberts, 66.

Hassan Nasser Al-Thani, 41, pictured, appeared via video link from Doha, Qatar, at Westminster Magistrates Court on Monday afternoon, where he pleaded not guilty to causing Charles’s death. Roberts, 66.

Al-Thani appeared via video link from Doha, Qatar, at Westminster Magistrates Court on Monday afternoon, where he pleaded not guilty to the charge.

He traveled home to Doha after the August 22, 2019 incident and was charged late last week.

Charles Roberts, pictured, died after being hit by a luxury car at 3 a.m. on August 22 near Hyde Park Corner in London.

Charles Roberts, pictured, died after being hit by a luxury car at 3 a.m. on August 22 near Hyde Park Corner in London.

Charles Roberts, pictured, died after being hit by a luxury car at 3 a.m. on August 22 near Hyde Park Corner in London.

He spoke through an interpreter to confirm his name, age and address, and said: ‘Not guilty, I was not driving recklessly.’

David Roberts, the prosecutor, said the case was unsuitable for a magistrate court trial because “it was not a momentary lapse of concentration.”

Mr Roberts said: ‘The defendant had been driving over the speed limit for some time.

“Therefore, this case would exceed the sentencing powers of this court and as such should be sent to a crown court for trial.”

Roberts, of Harpenden, Hertfordshire, died at the crash site at Duke of Wellington Place in the early hours of August 22, 2019.

Al-Thani was stopped and questioned by the police and later charged with causing death by reckless driving.

The Qatar-registered Wraith was left with a large crack in the windshield after the accident.

A purple Rolls Royce car was seen inside the curb after the accident in August 2019

A purple Rolls Royce car was seen inside the curb after the accident in August 2019

A purple Rolls Royce car was seen inside the curb after the accident in August 2019

The location of the Rolls Royce accident at Hyde Park Corner in central London

The location of the Rolls Royce accident at Hyde Park Corner in central London

The location of the Rolls Royce accident at Hyde Park Corner in central London

Footage from the scene shows a blue tent erected on the road at the crash site.

Al-Thani, whose address was given as a luxury apartment near Hyde Park on Prince of Wales Terrace, is now facing a trial preparation and plea hearing in Southwark Crown Court on 8 February.

It indicated a plea of ​​not guilty to a single count of causing death by careless or inconsiderate driving.

He was granted unconditional bail and will appear at Southwark Crown Court on February 8.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.