Lagmore air freshener explosion

One woman was injured when she fell down a staircase after an air freshener in her house in West Belfast had exploded and windows were blasted out.

The explosion occurred around 11:00 pm GMT Saturday in the living room of a house in the Lagmore area.

The NI Firefighters and Rescue Service (NIFRS) stated that it was caused by an air freshener that had warmed up after setting up on a wood stove.

The living room and the rear kitchen windows were blown out.

The 39-year-old woman was treated for a fall due to pelvic injuries when she came downstairs to investigate what happened, said Michael Roberts, Cdr of the NIFRS Asst Group.

He said it was a major explosion and there could have been "other circumstances" if someone had been in the living room when the explosion happened.

Group Cdr Roberts said the heated aerosol had burst and created an "overpressure" in the house, which blew the windows.

He added that the damage was "very low" and that an explosion of this kind was "very rare" in his 27 years as a firefighter.

"I urge the public to be vigilant. Always store aerosol canisters away from sources of heat or open flames."