The 'fragile' couple in Edinburgh got permission to stay in the UK

Rezvan Habibimarand and Mozaffar Saberi

Legend

Rezvan Habibimarand and Mozaffar Saberi

An elderly Iranian couple, threatened with deportation to Iran, was allowed to stay in the United Kingdom.

Mozaffar Saberi, 83, and Rezvan Habibimarand, 73, have been living in Edinburgh since the 1970s.

Although they bought an apartment in the city more than 40 years ago, they never applied for British citizenship.

The Home Office has informed the couple – the grandparents of the Scottish rugby international, Damien Hoyland – that they will get a visa in a few days.

The couple's lawyer, John Vassiliou of McGill & Co Solicitors, revealed Tuesday that a letter had been sent by the Home Office to the court of first instance (Immigration and Immigration Chamber). asylum) requesting permission from the court for the pending appeal to be withdrawn.

He added that the court should take steps in the coming days for the Home Office to issue visas to the couple.

& # 39; Apply for citizenship & # 39;

The leave of Mr. Saberi and Mrs. Habibimarand will be valid for a period of 30 months and will be renewable every 30 months until they have spent 120 months in the United Kingdom.

This means that in about 10 years they will have the right to apply for an indefinite leave and, a year later, if they wish, they can apply for British citizenship.

The couple's difficult situation was revealed last month while they argued that he should be allowed to stay for reasons related to human rights.

The Home Office said they did not have the right to stay, but the legal team said that she depended on the support of her close family and also played an important role in taking care of her severely autistic grandson .

Since April 2000, Mr. Saberi and Ms. Habibimarand had obtained several visitor visas.

However, as their health deteriorated and their desire to see their 11 grandchildren grow, they filed a human rights application to stay in the UK in April 2013.

Legend

Rezvan Habibimarand and Mozaffar Saberi (seventh and eighth on the right) and his son Navid Saberi (second on the left) at a family wedding

It was less than a year after the hardening rules on immigration by the then Secretary of the Interior, Theresa May.

The Home Office had previously refused two human rights claims.

"The pain is insurmountable"

The couple's son, Navid Saberi, thanked those who helped their cause and conveyed his parents' reaction to the news: "We have been given the world, everything, the words can not express how happy and grateful we are not to be separated yet to see our grandchildren and our children.

"This is the best news and we would like to thank everyone who helped and supported us and gave us hope."

"I am also pleased that those who believe in human rights and who have helped and supported us on the basis of the true nature of these rights have helped us to overcome the plight," said his father.

"We hope that no one will be separated or fear this separation from their children and grandchildren anywhere in the world.The pain caused by this fear is insurmountable."

Attorney John Vassiliou said: "The road has been long and exhausting for the family.

"This case has shed light on the broader problem of how we treat adult family members of British citizens within our immigration system.

"In its current form, the system does not give any importance to the emotional ties that could exist between older adults and their adult children and grandchildren.This is an area of ​​immigration rules. who has been calling for reform since Theresa May's rule changes in 2012..

"We still hope that a future government will take a more humane approach to the issue".