The Canadian Grand Prix has officially entered the list of postponed Formula 1 races of 2020, as the COVID-19 crisis continues to affect sport worldwide.
Scheduled for June 14, the Montreal event is the ninth to be lost so far, leaving the French GP on June 28 as the first race of this year’s World Championship.
Although it should have taken place only a week after the Azerbaijan GP, which was postponed on March 23, Montreal had the extra time to make a decision because it requires less preparation than a road track.
A new date is being sought, with sources suggesting it may be later in the summer.
In a statement the race organizers stressed that local authorities had played a key role in the thought process.
“This postponement was not a decision taken lightly or easily.
“Over the past month, we have been in constant communication with Formula 1 and with representatives from the city of Montreal, Tourism Montreal and provincial and federal governments.
“We have listened to the directives issued by public health officials and as a direct consequence of the COVID-19 pandemic they are following the expert guidance provided by the authorities.
“Our thoughts and our most sincere thanks go to the men and women who work tirelessly to keep us healthy, safe and nourished in these uncertain times.”
F1 CEO Chase Carey stressed that a new race date will be found.
“We have worked closely with our friends at the Canadian Grand Prix in the past few weeks and have supported them in making this decision necessary to ensure the safety of fans and the F1 community,” he said.
“We are always looking forward to traveling to the incredible city of Montreal and while we have to wait a little longer, we will have a great show when we arrive later this year.”
Canadian GP CEO and promoter Francois Dumontier stressed the role that F1 teams have played in developing technology to combat COVID-19.
“I am proud to see how these wonderful initiatives and technical progress from Formula 1 are being applied in a time of crisis,” he said.
“At the moment it is essential that all our energies are united to overcome COVID-19.
“We will welcome you with open arms on the Gilles-Villeneuve circuit as soon as it is safe to do so. ”
Last month Dumontier told Autosport that if the race had been postponed it could not have been held after mid-October, due to weather considerations.