TURKEY REPLACES CANADA. STROLL AND LATIFI AGAIN WITHOUT THE HOME GP

Latifi and Stroll, the Canadians, have not yet raced in the home GP, as confirmed by the change made to the Turkish Grand Prix replacing the Canadian Grand Prix for the weekend of June 11-13.

Due to international travel restrictions in place in Canada, it became impossible for Formula 1 to enter the country without a mandatory 14-day quarantine, leading to the change.

“We are grateful for the efforts of the promoter and the authorities of Canada, Quebec and Montreal in recent weeks to try to get the race done and we are pleased to announce a two-year extension of our partnership with the Canadian Grand Prix. ”Read a statement from Formula 1.

“We will work with the promoter to ensure that those with tickets to the 2020 and 2021 races get the option of a refund or to transfer their tickets to next year’s race and we look forward to competing in Canada in 2022.”

Turkey returns to the calendar after an exciting first event in Istanbul in nine years last November, in which Lewis Hamilton was crowned world champion for the seventh time in 2020.

“While it is disappointing that we cannot be in Canada this season, we are excited to confirm that Turkey will host a Grand Prix in 2021 after an incredible race last season,” said Stefano Domenicali, President and CEO of Formula 1. “I know that all of our fans are excited for the spectacular start to the season and Turkey is a great circuit offering great battles on the track.

READ  Who hires offices? Madrid depends on banks and Barcelona, ​​on technology

“We have had very good conversations with all the other promoters since the beginning of the year and we will continue to work closely with them during this period.”

The Formula 1 community will continue to travel this season with strict security measures that allowed safe travel to 12 countries in 2020. The measures have proven highly effective with more than 78,000 COVID-19 tests conducted last season with only 78 results. positive, a rate of 0.1%. So far this season, more than 12,000 tests have been carried out with 14 positive cases again at a rate of 0.1%.

Canadian drivers Lance Stroll and Nicholas Latifi will thus not have a home race again this season due to this change. In Portugal both commented on their opinion on the matter.

Lance Stroll, who finished ninth in Canada in 2017 and 2019 but dropped out of the 2018 race, said he was “really sad” to miss the Montreal race for the second year in a row, but told local fans to stay with the positive of the future return of the race in 2022.

When asked what he would miss the most about the cancellation of the 2021 Canadian GP, ​​Stroll joked, “No poutine, damn it!”, Referring to a traditional Canadian dish. “That’s what bothers me more than anything.” No, it is really sad that for the second year in a row we are not going to Montreal.

“It is the race I always look forward to the most and I am sorry for the fans, my heart goes out to everyone in Montreal who looks forward to the race every year and it is one of the most exciting weekends in town, and it is really sad that second year is not happening. But times are tough. Maybe it’s not the right time to go there and the world is still in a tough place so all I can say is I really hope we can be back next year and for everyone in Canada just keep chin up and fingers crossed, we hope to be back next season.

READ  Withdrawal of Turkey from the convention for the protection of women is a "huge setback" (Council of Europe)

As for Williams driver Latifi, who participated in FP1 at the 2018 and 2019 Canadian Grands Prix and chose number 6 as a tribute to his native Toronto, he commented that his home appearances were the “coolest experiences” ever. has had, and echoed Stroll’s comments, adding that it was broken because it won’t take place.

“Obviously, I was extremely disappointed and I also felt some frustration,” he said. “I think that any driver who has a home race on the calendar or who should be on the calendar is… the one who looks forward to the most.

“I experienced two FP1 driving in Canada and they were the best experiences I had in motorsports: getting out of the pitlane, driving in front of your local crowd… And yes, for the second year in a row as a Formula 1 driver I won’t be able to go to my racing career. home.

1312789400

“It is a difficult situation at home in Canada with Covid, so it is simply not possible. We have some positives that it is signed for another two years; it’s obviously very far in the future … if I’m not mistaken. We will have to wait another year. See you next year until then ”, he concluded.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.