Two divers were killed within three weeks of each other during separate accidents off the coast of Donegal County, investigations have announced.

The two deaths occurred during the summer of 2017 and the victims were overseas men who had gone to Donegal to dive, was informed by the coroner's court of Donegal.

The first survey was that of John Allwright (57) of Vicarage Close, Langford, Bedfordshire, England.

The forensic investigation revealed that he was part of a group of seven people who left Downings Bay to travel to Duncap Isle.

Mr. Allwright had initially lost his diving mask but was given a replacement mask.

However, as he was crossing an underground cavern, he was sucked into an underground cave from where he had trouble getting out.

Evidence was heard that he had finally come out of the cave and had managed to come to the surface, but was exhausted.

The local diver, Declan Burke, who had accompanied the divers, said that he had plunged into this area at least 50 times before and that he was unaware of the cave in which M Allwright had been sucked.

After Mr. Allwright arrived at the surface, his fellow divers took him on the dive boat and performed CPR but could not revive him.

Diving instructor David Gration testified that Mr. Allwright's diving equipment was in working order.

He added that his equipment would have weighed between 40,000 and 50,000 people and that trying to get out of the water would have been exhausting.

A pathology report showed that Mr. Allwright's body showed slight bruising on the forehead, but there was little sign of significant trauma.

The coroner, Dr. Denis McCauley, said that after hearing all the evidence, he considered the death a real accident.

He added that the death was due to drowning, consequence of an accident.

The second investigation involved the death of Randy McNalley, a Canadian from Edmonton, Alberta.

Mr. McNalley (63) was part of a group that had plunged off the wreck of the MV Pinto, WWII ship, located 25 km north of Fanad Head, on August 14, 2017.

The group had dived for two hours at depths of up to 63 meters before deciding to resurface.

However, at 18 meters from the surface, Mr. McNalley, an experienced diver, lost contact with the group and did not resurface.

Visibility was low and, despite an immediate search of the area, Mr. McNalley was not located.

A research team found his remains two days later.

Colm Humphries, a research diver, said he found Mr. McNalley on the seabed and found that his mouthpiece was not in his mouth.

Coroner Dr. McCauley said that there appeared to have been a medical incident, data showing that he had fallen very quickly on the seabed.

He stated that Mr McNalley was a healthy triathlete, but he suggested that it was a serious medical incident that had made him unconscious and had leads to death.

He added that the death was caused by a lack of oxygen in the brain and that he had died as a result of an accident.