13 C
London
Sunday, July 12, 2020

What Steve Bruce said when asked if he will be Newcastle United’s boss next season

Steve Bruce ‘sincerely hopes’ that he will still be in command of Newcastle United next season and is planning ahead despite uncertainty about the club’s future takeover.

After Rafa Benitez’s departure last summer, the 59-year-old was parachuted into the hot seat only three and a half weeks before the start of the season.

With seven league games, Newcastle are currently in 14th place in the Premier League, four points behind the top half, and the Magpies have contested their first quarter-finals of the FA Cup since 2006 over the weekend.

Although aspiring owners – Amanda Staveley, the Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund and the Reuben Brothers – are not expected to have a list of managers and players to hit immediately if they finally pass the Premier League owner and manager test, which did not stop Mauricio Pochettino and Rafa Benitez from being connected to Bruce’s work.

Bruce previously admitted that he found such “disrespectful” speeches and Newcastle’s head coach intends to continue planning the future.

“Fortunately, I have been there for a long, long time and have also had acquisitions in two or three other clubs,” he told reporters in a Zoom call.

“As I have said repeatedly, whatever is best for Newcastle, I agree. If this is the best thing for Newcastle to go on, then it is fine for me.

“Will I be the manager of Newcastle next year? I sincerely hope so. I really liked the challenge of this great club of ours, so I can only plan ahead and assume and make sure that we will continue to do the work we would have done: how will we return, when we will come back and all those things.

“Of course, when the transfer window opens, what can we do to improve the team going forward? I will continue to move forward, to a soldier and to move forward.”

Newcastle had plans for the summer and this would have been an important window for Bruce as he tried to put his stamp on the team in the transfer market.

Goalkeeper Mark Gillespie has returned to his boys ‘club with a free transfer but, even before tackling the club’s potential takeover, it is still unclear how the coronavirus influenced the original Magpies’ plans.

“Well, in the last few weeks, we’ve managed to keep the players on loan. We have two players signed up for next season and a little more in the case of Manquillo,” added Bruce. “We look forward to being able to do young Matty in this sense, it was business as usual.



Andy Carroll and Javier Manquillo signed the extensions, but Matty Longstaff is still considering his options

“Teams like Liverpool and Man United, the big teams, have been hit by what has happened in the past three or four months.

“Of course, we’ll have to take stock, see what we have and see what we can do. In all clubs, especially in management, it’s about future planning and that’s why I said that a week ago we need now for the decision to be made. because we need the club to move on.

“As I have said many times, whatever is the best for the club is good for me, so we hope there is a decision for everyone – for you guys as much as we kids – and it is vital that we don’t make an excuse for it.

“We can’t influence it, we can’t influence anything. Our Premier League form in the last five or six games has been decent, so we hope we can continue on this and not use the acquisition as an excuse.”

.

Latest news

Government “ax stamp duty for six months on homes worth up to £ 500k”

According to the report, the Chancellor is expected to announce a six-month stamp holiday to help the UK housing market. Rishi Sunak...

Post-lockdown ‘unrecognizable’ Magaluf with empty streets and ‘chaos’ restaurant – World News

Brits flying to Magaluf's post-lockdown could be greeted with an "unrecognizable" ghost town. The holiday spot on the island of Majorca is...

Aston Villa boss Dean Smith complains about the Premier League rule after the defeat of Liverpool

Aston Villa manager Dean Smith complained of the five substitutes' provisional rule after seeing his team lose to Liverpool. Sadio Mane and...

No social distance as the pubs open on Super Saturday

Old Compton Street in Soho, London, was full of drinkers on "Super Saturday" despite the strong police presence. (Justin Tallis / AFP via...

Related news

Government “ax stamp duty for six months on homes worth up to £ 500k”

According to the report, the Chancellor is expected to announce a six-month stamp holiday to help the UK housing market. Rishi Sunak...

Post-lockdown ‘unrecognizable’ Magaluf with empty streets and ‘chaos’ restaurant – World News

Brits flying to Magaluf's post-lockdown could be greeted with an "unrecognizable" ghost town. The holiday spot on the island of Majorca is...

Aston Villa boss Dean Smith complains about the Premier League rule after the defeat of Liverpool

Aston Villa manager Dean Smith complained of the five substitutes' provisional rule after seeing his team lose to Liverpool. Sadio Mane and...

No social distance as the pubs open on Super Saturday

Old Compton Street in Soho, London, was full of drinkers on "Super Saturday" despite the strong police presence. (Justin Tallis / AFP via...

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.