Raspberry sponge cakeCopyright of the image
Science Photo Library


The Leicester City Council has stated that people regularly providing food at the LOROS Hospice must use a licensed kitchen.

The members of the Women & # 39; s Institute are told that they can not make cakes for a hospice because of health and safety rules.

A hospice in Leicestershire said its five-star hygiene rating could be compromised by the acceptance of home baked goods.

The Leicester City Council has stated that it does not prohibit WI from donating cakes, but that those who provide food regularly must use a registered kitchen.

Meriel Godfrey, of the Medbourne Women's Institute, said: "Nobody got sick while eating cakes with our donations."

She was "very upset" by the move, adding, "I know they have to be very careful, but we've been baking cakes for years.

"We know how clean you must be."

Copyright of the image


WI said its members have been making cakes for LOROS for years

Ms. Godfrey said that registration of members' kitchens would be impractical.

"This would involve the participation of a good number of people working in the health and safety sector in many different cuisines," she said.

"As far as we know, no one got sick while eating cakes thanks to our donations."

  • Latest news and stories from the East Midlands

The news follows an environmental health inspection at LOROS Hospice.

Helen Williams, of the Hospice, said that if he did not comply with the report, he risked compromising his own food grading certificate.

She said: "We loved receiving donations from so many generous supporters, just like the WI, but unfortunately, it's a decision made by local authorities, not by our organization."

A spokesman for Leicester City Council said that it "does not forbid WI to provide cakes to LOROS".

He said: "In accordance with the national rules of the Food Standards Agency, any person preparing food for the public on a regular basis must register as a food store with his local council. charities and voluntary organizations.

"The WI national website also tells members that they may need to sign in. The process is simple and free."

Copyright of the image
Science Photo Library


The Food Standards Agency has stated that if you provide food on an occasional and small scale, you do not need to be registered.

Regulation of the Food Standards Agency (FSA)

  • There is no ban on organizations providing food for charity and community events
  • If you provide food on occasion and on a small scale, you do not need to be registered.
  • You may need to register with your local authority if you provide food on a regular and organized basis, which helps to ensure that the food provided can be safely consumed, especially for vulnerable groups.
  • If you are part of an organization that provides food on a small scale and you do not know if you need to register, the FSA advises you to check with your local authority's food safety team. .
  • If you need to register, you can be inspected by your local authority and receive an assessment under the food hygiene rating system.

WI headquarters indicated that it did not wish to comment directly on the case but confirmed that it regularly advised members to contact their local authorities on this matter.

You might also like:

Follow BBC East Midlands on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. Send your article ideas to