A loving grandfather was found dead in his chair the morning of his granddaughter's birthday party, an investigation said.

Peter Penman-Reid died on November 24 and was found by a family member at his home in Bentley Grove, Winsford.

His 53-year-old grandson, who lived alone, was visited by his grandson the night before his death. The survey held at Crewe Municipal Buildings found how good he was and spoke of his impatience. the next party and spend time with his family.

Coroner Claire Welch heard from a number of witnesses that Peter, who was unemployed, suffered severe leg pain from two accidents that occurred about 18 years ago.

He had been prescribed long-term medications for pain relief, including methadone and gabapentin, a medication used to treat nerve pain – two substances that had been found in slightly larger amounts in his system during the course of his life. a post-mortem examination.

Dr. David Butterworth, a pathology specialist who reviewed Peter, said that in his opinion, the former drummer had died after being choked from vomiting, as a result of the illness. respiratory depression resulting from his underlying COPD and high levels of methadone and gabapentin in his system, said the levels could have resulted from the long-term use of both drugs.

The coroner explained to the family how his job was to find out how Peter had occurred as a result of his death and asked about his use of medications and if Peter had already taken more drugs than he did. It should have been used to cope with the pain.

She heard the testimony of Claire Oxley, Peter's general practitioner, who explained her detailed medical history to the court and explained how her pain had been effectively managed for over a decade. She added that Peter was stable the last time they had met and that his meds had been carefully managed over the years to combat his lingering pain.

Peter's family echoed this claim, saying he was very aware of the number of medications he had to take every day. Because of the weekly delivery of his medication, he knew that taking too much at a time would cause him problems because it would not be prescribed until the following week and would be in an "agony" if it was missing.

Read more

Top news

After hearing all the evidence, the coroner is "fully satisfied that Peter's death was not deliberate", while taking into account how the police stated that they did not find any suspicious circumstances after the visit of his home the morning of his discovery.

Ms. Welch said, "It is also my job to ask myself if high drug levels were the result of an accidental overdose. Again, there is no evidence to suggest this and, with all the evidence I have heard, the levels represent long-term use and do not represent an overdose, deliberate or accidental.

"Unfortunately, with the combination of his COPD, it was too much for his lungs. I am convinced that the drugs have been prescribed appropriately and for a long time. It is clear how much he suffered when he did not take them and it was appropriate and necessary to be on them. "

She recorded a death by natural cause, which was supported by a well-prescribed pain medication.

The family paid tribute to Peter in court, explaining how close they were. His daughter Leah recounted that he had visitors every day and his eldest daughter, Louise, added, "He was so funny, he always made us laugh, we were all very close."

To receive a daily WhatsApp message with CheshireLive headlines, as well as last-minute alerts, send the message NEWS to 07500 881875. Then add the number to your phonebook under the name "CheshireLive".

Your phone number will not be shared with other members of the group.

.