Hospital service

Copyright of the image
PA Media


The woman was kept in a busy common room because of a dispute about her ongoing care.

A woman deemed fit to leave the hospital was discharged only 18 months later due to a dispute over her ongoing care, according to a report.

The Social Welfare Commission said the woman had remained at the hospital due to prolonged disagreement between her family and health professionals.

The woman, who is in her fifties, has learning disabilities, cerebral palsy, diabetes and is registered blind.

She was admitted to the hospital following a fractured neck in December 2015.

The woman, known as Ms. ST, was found fit to leave the hospital in March 2016 but was discharged only in September of the following year.

The Social Protection Commission for Scotland has criticized the treatment of the patient.

She lived all her life in the family home, but after admission to the hospital, social services advised her to go to a care home.

The family was not in agreement and Ms. ST had to stay in an orthopedic ward for 18 months, although she was found medically fit to leave.

Copyright of the image
Getty Images


The report indicated that there was no mechanism for resolving professional disputes regarding the referral of patients requiring social care.

The Committee stated that its treatment had caused unnecessary distress and that the health and social services partnership in question did not have any mechanism to deal with differences of professional opinion.

Partnerships in health and social services were designed to create closer partnerships between health services, social services and hospital services.

Ms. ST's brother and legal guardian stated that the report showed that the integration program had not been of any benefit to her sister or her family.

The Mental Welfare Commission is responsible for protecting the rights of people in Scotland with a learning disability, mental illness or other mental disorder.

Her survey has been anonymized to protect those involved, but she hopes health services can learn from her findings.

Ms. ST was finally sent home in September 2017 and the report states that she continued to live there successfully with her mother, while enjoying social support.

Kate Fearnley of the Social Welfare Commission said the release could have taken place in a few weeks, instead of almost 18 months late.

"Ms. ST had a family willing and able to support her loved one at home, with support, while fighting their cause for several months," she said.