Tupac Shakur murder trial opens in Las Vegas nearly 30 years after killing
Opening statements began in the Nevada courtroom trial of Duane 'Keffe D' Davis, marking the first trial in the 1996 drive-by shooting of Tupac Shakur.
Opening statements began Monday in a Nevada courtroom, marking the first trial of anyone charged in the drive-by shooting that killed rapper Tupac Shakur in 1996. The case centers on Duane “Keffe D” Davis, 63, a former gang member whom prosecutors accuse of orchestrating the killing and providing the weapon, though authorities state he did not pull the trigger.
Charges and Potential Sentence
Davis faces a charge of murder with a deadly weapon with the intent to promote, further, or assist a criminal gang. He entered a plea of not guilty. Because Nevada law imposes no statute of limitations on murder, a conviction could result in life imprisonment without parole, according to prosecutors.
Media additions
Prosecution’s Narrative
Chief Deputy District Attorney Binu Palal opened the state’s argument by presenting jurors with a photograph from the Mike Tyson fight at the MGM Grand, dated September 7, 1996, alongside video footage showing Shakur’s entourage confronting Orlando “Baby Lane” Anderson, who is Davis’s nephew. Palal told the court that Davis planned the shooting in retaliation for the beating of his nephew, noting that jurors would learn of this from Davis himself, according to Triblive.
According to the state’s account, Shakur and Death Row Records chairman Marion “Suge” Knight left the MGM Grand and were driving through Las Vegas when a white car pulled alongside Knight’s vehicle and opened fire. Shakur was struck by four bullets and died six days later in a hospital, while Knight survived the attack. The gunfire originated from a white Cadillac carrying Davis and three other individuals, all of whom have since died, according to TribLive.
Prosecutors intend to call between 35 and 45 witnesses over several weeks of testimony. The state’s evidence relies heavily on past media interviews, a 2019 memoir titled Compton Street Legend co-authored by Davis, and statements Davis provided to investigators in 2008. Prosecutor Marc DiGiacomo noted that Davis would likely never have faced prosecution had he chosen not to write the book, as reported by TribLive.
Defense Position
Defense attorney Michael Sanft contends that the memoir was written for financial profit rather than as a factual confession. Sanft argues that it is impossible to distinguish which passages were written by Davis and which came from co-author Yusuf Jah, who appears on the witness list. Court documents noted that Jah recently told an investigator he doubted Davis fully read his own book.
Davis also contradicted his memoir and prior police statements during a recent interview with Las Vegas television station Fox 5, where he claimed he was not present in the car that night. In contrast, his 2008 statements to police and his 2019 book placed him in the vehicle, details that ultimately revived the long-dormant investigation.
Cultural Backdrop and Rivalry
The trial is expected to examine the broader East Coast versus West Coast rap rivalry of the mid-1990s. The West Coast was represented by Death Row Records—co-founded by Suge Knight and home to Shakur—while the East Coast was anchored by Bad Boy Records, founded by Sean “Diddy” Combs with The Notorious B.I.G. As a signed artist. Both artists were killed in separate drive-by shootings within months of each other, fueling decades of theories and conspiracies surrounding what remains one of the most high-profile unsolved murders in American history.
Shakur, who died at the age of 25, was remembered by supporters as a cultural icon who addressed racism, police brutality, and inequality through his music. Family members, friends, and fans traveled to Las Vegas to attend the proceedings. Shakur’s stepbrother, Maurice “Mopreme” Shakur, sat quietly in the front row, having previously noted that enduring the trial would be retraumatizing for the family. Cousins Kendrick and William Lesane traveled from Atlanta, with William Lesane telling reporters that justice had long left the station.
Fans also gathered outside the courthouse. Din Malone traveled by bus from Denver to attend, wearing a Shakur shirt and playing the musician's catalog from a phone while waiting outside. Darryl Harper, a veteran music producer who collaborated with Shakur at Death Row Records on posthumously released songs, flew in from Georgia after booking a ticket as soon as the trial date was set. Harper described Shakur as a personal friend with whom he worked nearly every day during the rapper's final days.
What Happens Next
The trial is expected to last about a month. While the prosecution prepares to present dozens of witnesses, the defense has indicated it will call only a handful of individuals to testify, potentially including co-author Yusuf Jah. The jury, which was sworn in and seated on the opening day, will weigh evidence concerning the events following the Mike Tyson boxing match, the altercation involving Orlando Anderson, and the fatal drive-by shooting that cut short Shakur's life nearly 30 years ago.