Ukraine's massive drone strike hits Wildberries warehouse, at least six dead
Ukraine launched one of the war’s biggest long-range drone barrages, striking a logistics centre south of Moscow and killing at least six people.
Ukraine unleashed one of the war’s biggest long‑range drone barrages on Sunday, 16 August 2026, striking a Wildberries logistics centre south of Moscow and killing at least six people. The attack marks a sharp escalation in Kyiv’s deep‑strike campaign and forces Russia to confront a new scale of aerial threat far beyond the frontline.
According to Moscow’s defence ministry, 822 drones were intercepted overnight, while Moscow mayor Sergei Sobyanin said 600 drones headed for the capital region, of which 201 were destroyed. The figures were echoed by the Russian governor of the Moscow region, Andrey Vorobyov, who described the wave as “one of the most massive drone attacks in recent memory.”
Media additions
The most visible damage occurred at a Wildberries warehouse in the town of Podolsk, a 250,000‑square‑metre facility that the Ukrainian military calls one of the retailer’s ten largest logistics centres. Geolocated video showed a towering column of black smoke consuming the building, though Vorobyov later said no one was injured inside the warehouse.
Elsewhere, an 83‑year‑old man died after a Ukrainian drone struck a private home in the Moscow region, and five people were killed in the southern Rostov oblast where a defence‑industrial plant that produces solid rocket propellant was hit, according to regional governor Yury Slyusar.
Russia’s own air campaign continued simultaneously. Ukrainian officials reported that a Russian missile strike on the central Ukrainian city of Kryvyi Rih killed two people and wounded 14, while a further death was recorded in Sumy. President Volodymyr Zelenskyy condemned the Russian attacks, saying “Wherever the Russians can reach with their ballistic missiles, they strike civilian infrastructure
.”
How the night unfolded
- 04:44 UTC – Romanian radars detect a drone entering Romanian airspace from Moldova; a Spanish F‑18 shot it down at 05:01 UTC.
- 06:30 UTC – Sobyanin confirms 600 drones approached the Moscow region; 201 are destroyed.
The coordinated strike illustrates Kyiv’s expanding long‑range capability. As noted by the Irish Times, Ukraine can now target sites up to 1,500 miles (2,400 km) from its border, narrowing the gap with Russia’s own deep‑strike arsenal. The Wildberries attacks, which have hit about 20 Russian warehouses in recent weeks, aim to disrupt a retail network that the Ukrainian side alleges supplies the Russian military.
The retailer has announced plans to build new warehouses in neighbouring Kazakhstan, a move that may shift some of the logistical burden away from Russian soil.
While Moscow emphasises the high number of drones neutralised, the sheer volume—over 800 in one night—has prompted analysts to label the operation “the largest Ukrainian drone assault of the year” (Timesnownews).
Russia’s defence ministry did not break down the fate of the alleged nine cruise missiles and 1,478 drones reported destroyed in the previous 24 hours, a figure that remains unverified.
Reactions and next steps
The strike has provoked strong statements from both capitals. Moscow’s mayor warned that the “largest air raid on the Russian capital in two years” demonstrates a “rapid recent expansion of Ukraine’s drone capability.” Meanwhile, Zelenskyy urged the international community to supply more modern interceptors, arguing that “European interceptors cannot simply be allowed to sit in storage.”
On the NATO front, the incident underscored the alliance’s vigilance. Romania’s defence ministry confirmed the Spanish F‑18 engagement, describing it as the fourth drone shot down over its airspace this year. Earlier in July, Romanian F‑16s intercepted three Russian drones, highlighting a broader pattern of air‑space violations linked to the conflict.
In the coming days, Russian officials are expected to conduct a detailed forensic analysis of the Wildberries wreckage, while Kyiv will likely claim the attack as a tactical success against a commercial hub it says supports the Russian war effort. Observers will watch for any escalation in retaliatory strikes, particularly given the simultaneous Russian missile assaults on Ukrainian cities.
What to watch next
- Official Russian casualty figures from the Wildberries site, pending independent verification.
- Possible escalation of drone deployments targeting other logistics hubs across western Russia.
- Statements from NATO regarding air‑space security after the Romanian incident.
- Potential diplomatic signals from Moscow about expanding its own drone and missile deployments in response.
As both sides trade increasingly sophisticated long‑range attacks, the war’s front lines are extending deeper into each country’s heartland, forcing policymakers to reassess defence postures far from the contested borders.