Thursday, 20 August 2026 Newsarchy UK live index
NewsarchyUKUK
Every UK story. Mapped, sourced, and explained where it matters.
Culture

Trump pushes Kennedy Center name change as board seeks new ground renaming

The Kennedy Center board is pursuing a revised plan to embed Donald Trump's name on the building and rename its grounds, sparking fresh legal scrutiny.

Trump pushes Kennedy Center name change as board seeks new ground renaming
Trump pushes Kennedy Center name change as board seeks new ground renaming

The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts is once again at the centre of a political and legal showdown. Trustees are weighing a proposal that would embed former President Donald J. Trump’s name on the building’s façade while renaming the surrounding grounds as the President Donald J. Trump Plaza. The latest move, reported by Yahoo News on August 13, follows a cascade of actions that began when Trump returned to the White House on January 20 2025.

From boardroom reshuffle to public outcry

Within weeks of his inauguration, Trump set about reshaping the centre’s leadership. He replaced several long‑standing board members and installed allies, culminating in his selection as chairman—a concentration of authority never before seen at the venue. Richard Grenell, a close confidant, was elevated to a leadership role and served as acting president of the board.

Grenell told reporters in March 2025 that his team was focused on “bringing arts and entertainment to the Kennedy Center that actually sell tickets.” He added that the centre needed to move away from what he described as “woke” programming and instead attract broader audiences and improve finances.

Almost immediately after the February 2025 leadership overhaul, high‑profile artists began cutting ties. Actor Issa Rae cancelled a sold‑out appearance, saying the changes represented “an infringement on the values of an institution that has faithfully celebrated artists of all backgrounds through all mediums.” Television producer Shonda Rhimes resigned from her board seat, pianist‑turned‑songwriter Ben Folds stepped down as artistic adviser to the National Symphony Orchestra, writing that recent developments were “not for me,” and soprano Renée Fleming also left her advisory role.

The exodus continued throughout the year. Producers of Hamilton canceled a planned engagement, and a string of musicians and arts organisations withdrew appearances, arguing that the centre was becoming increasingly politicised. Supporters of the administration countered that they were restoring fiscal discipline and broadening the centre’s appeal.

Amid the artistic backlash, Trump allies highlighted what they called “serious maintenance issues” affecting the historic building. They argued that a major renovation was essential to preserve the venue for future generations.

December 2025: A contentious rebranding

In December 2025 the board voted to rename the institution “Donald J. Trump and the John F. Kennedy Memorial Center for the Performing Arts.” New signage bearing that title was photographed on December 19 2025. The move sparked fresh outrage. Jazz saxophonist Billy Harper declared he would “never even consider performing in a venue bearing a name” that conflicted with his values. Grandnephew Joe Kennedy III took to social media, reminding the public that the centre “is a living memorial to a fallen president and named for President Kennedy by federal law. It can no sooner be renamed than can someone rename the Lincoln Memorial.”

Trump announced in February 2025 that the centre would close for two years for a major renovation. On Truth Social he said the closure would allow for “complete rebuilding” to transform the facility into “the finest Performing Arts Facility of its kind, anywhere in the World.”

Judicial intervention and a revised strategy

U.S. District Judge Christopher Cooper intervened in May 2025, ruling that Trump’s name had been illegally added to the Kennedy Center and blocking the proposed two‑year shutdown pending a full review. Though the board missed an initial deadline to remove the name, scaffolding and a large protective tarp were erected over part of the façade; photographs of the tarp on June 13 2025 showed the continuing visual imprint of the dispute.

Rather than abandon the effort, trustees returned with a new approach on August 13 2025. The board approved language that would “recognize Trump’s role in renovating the facility without formally renaming the institution.” The proposed inscription reads: “The John F. Kennedy Memorial Center for the Performing Arts, Restored and Renovated by President Donald J. Trump.” In parallel, trustees are seeking to rename the physical grounds surrounding the complex as the President Donald J. Trump Plaza and have again endorsed the two‑year closure for renovations.

Political reactions

Democratic Representative Joyce Beatty of Ohio, an ex officio board member, condemned the August move as “a transparent effort to circumvent the Court’s ruling” and vowed to continue fighting for the monument. Her statement echoed the concern that the board’s language attempts to thread a narrow path around Judge Cooper’s injunction.

"[The] decision to close the Center and the surprise agenda item to put Donald Trump's name back on the building was more of the same,"

Joyce Beatty, U.S. Representative, via Yahoo News

Joe Kennedy III’s social‑media post reiterated the statutory protection of the centre’s name, drawing a parallel with the Lincoln Memorial to illustrate the legal barrier.

"The Kennedy Center is a living memorial to a fallen president and named for President Kennedy by federal law. It can no sooner be renamed than can someone rename the Lincoln Memorial, no matter what anyone says."

Joe Kennedy III, via Yahoo News

Billy Harper’s refusal to perform under the rebranded name underscores the cultural fallout that has left the centre’s schedule in disarray.

"Never even consider performing in a venue bearing a name that represents values I oppose,"

Billy Harper, jazz saxophonist, via Yahoo News

Legal backdrop and what to watch next

Judge Cooper’s May ruling remains the governing order: the addition of Trump’s name is illegal and the closure for renovations is blocked until the court fully reviews the board’s revised plan. The August inscription avoids a formal name change, but it still embeds Trump’s identity on the façade and seeks to rename the surrounding grounds—actions that could trigger further litigation.

Related stories