LONDON, Nov 29 (Reuters) – Britain has confirmed an outbreak of bird flu on a turkey farm in northern England, the British government reported on Sunday.
“An outbreak of avian flu has been confirmed at a turkey feedlot near Northallerton in North Yorkshire county,” Chief Veterinary Officer Christine Middlemiss said in a statement. It is the H5N8 disease strain.
The statement added that the 10,500 birds on the farm will be culled to limit the spread of the disease, reporting that the risk to public health is very low. The outbreak does not pose a risk to food safety, the statement added.
Information from William James; edited by Kirsten Donovan; translated by Darío Fernández in the Gdansk newsroom
LONDON, Nov 26 (Reuters) – Days after grabbing the headlines with its COVID-19 “vaccine for the world”, AstraZeneca faces sensitive questions about its success rate that some experts say could hamper its chances of success. Quickly obtain regulatory approval from the United States and the European Union.
Several scientists have raised doubts about the robustness of the results showing that the vaccine was 90% effective in a subset of trial participants who, by initial error, received a half dose followed by a full dose.
“All we have is limited data disclosure,” said Peter Openshaw, professor of experimental medicine at Imperial College London.
“We have to wait for the full data and see how the regulators see the results,” he said, adding that regulators in the United States and Europe “could possibly have different points of view.”
British pharmacist AstraZeneca said Monday that its experimental vaccine, developed with the University of Oxford, averaged 70% prevention of COVID-19 cases in third-phase trials conducted in the United Kingdom and Brazil.
While the success rate was 90% in the volunteer subgroup, the efficacy was 62% with the full administration applied twice, as was the case for the majority of participants.
That’s well above the 50% efficiency required by the US regulatory body. Europe’s drug regulator has said it will not set a minimum level of efficacy for potential vaccines.
More worrying, however, is that the trial’s most promising result of 90% comes from a subgroup analysis, a technique that many scientists say can lead to incorrect readings.
“Subgroup analyzes in randomized controlled trials are always fraught with difficulties,” said Paul Hunter, professor of medicine at the University of East Anglia in the UK.
He said, in particular, that such analyzes increase the risk of “type 1 errors”, that is, when an intervention is considered effective when in fact it is not.
This is in part because the number of participants in a subgroup is greatly reduced, making it more difficult to trust that a finding is not just due to fortuitous differences or similarities between participants.
“To be confident in the results,” Hunter said, any subgroup analysis “should be powerful enough,” with large numbers of volunteers taking the readings.
Only 2,741 volunteers were in the subgroup that read 90% efficacy, a fraction of the tens of thousands in the trials that resulted in efficacy data of more than 90% published earlier this month for Pfizer vaccines. -BioNTech and Modern.
THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAILS
AstraZeneca said the administration of the half dose was reviewed and approved by independent data safety monitors and the UK regulator, adding that the regulator publicly confirmed that there were “no concerns”.
“We are in discussions with regulators around the world to evaluate these findings and we look forward to the publication of the peer-reviewed results, which have now been presented to the journal,” added a spokesperson.
Oxford University did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The United States regulator, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), has not commented on the results of the AstraZeneca vaccine trials. The European Medicines Agency said on Thursday that it will “evaluate the data on the efficacy and safety of the vaccine in the coming weeks once it has been received from the company.”
However, the regulatory process has suffered, according to experts, who point to crucial gaps in the data AstraZeneca has released so far.
“The devil is in the details,” said Danny Altmann, professor of immunology at Imperial College London. “We’re trying to evaluate really complex trial designs based on little press releases.”
Beyond the headline efficacy ratings, AstraZeneca’s data release didn’t give scientists much to work with. It did not say how many infections occurred in the subgroup, for example, or in the group that received two full doses, or in the group that received placebo.
“Many questions remain unanswered,” said Morgane Bomsel, an expert at the French National Center for Scientific Research, adding: “We have the impression that they (AstraZeneca) are choosing the data selectively.”
“A NUMBER OF VARIABLES”
Moncef Slaoui, the chief scientific advisor to the United States Government’s vaccine program, Operation Warp Speed, also highlighted gaps.
He said that no one in the subgroup that received the initial half dose was older than 55 years, suggesting that the efficacy of the regimen in the crucial older age groups is not proven in these interim data.
The group that received a correct full dose followed by a full dose, he noted, included older people.
Such concerns, and the possible consequences for the speed of regulatory approval, led AstraZeneca shares to their lowest level since April on Thursday, falling 7% since the company released the data on Monday.
By contrast, Moderna is up 22% since publishing its vaccine trial data on November 16, and Pfizer and BioNTech are up 6% and 14%, respectively, since announcing their successful data on November 9. .
“There are a number of variables that we need to understand, and what has been the role of each of them in achieving the difference in efficacy,” Slaoui said Tuesday. “It is still possible that the difference (in efficacy) is a random difference,” he added.
“It is unlikely, but it is still possible.”
Information on Kate Kelland in London; additional information from Matthias Blamont in Paris, Ludwig Burger in Frankfurt and Francesco Guarascio in Brussels; edited by Josephine Mason and Pravin Char, translated by Michael Susin at the Gdansk newsroom
LONDON, Nov 24 (Reuters) – Demand for riskier assets on Tuesday kept sterling close to the two-month high it reached the day before, with investors also hoping that this week’s Brexit negotiations will result in a deal.
News on Monday that AstraZeneca’s vaccine for the coronavirus could be around 90% effective boosted sentiment. British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Monday that he hoped almost all Britons at high risk from COVID would be vaccinated against the disease by Easter.
England will introduce a new system on Dec. 15 allowing passengers arriving from high-risk countries to take a COVID-19 test after five days of quarantine and to be released from any further self-isolation if they test negative.
In addition, the one-month full lockdown in England is due to end on Dec. 2, and transport secretary Grant Shapps is set to scrap blanket travel quarantine restrictions by Christmas so people can travel to high-risk countries to visit relatives.
The November flash purchasing managers index came in better than expected on Monday, adding to the optimism, although the number remained below 50, which represents contraction.
Month-end investment flows have curtailed gains in sterling and the pound should be trading higher on these developments, said Marshall Gittler, head of investment research at BDSwiss Group.
“I think the pound could continue the gains next month, depending of course on how the Brexit talks go,” he said.
The British pound was last up 0.4% at $1.3373, close to $1.3396, its highest since Sept. 2, reached on Monday. If it were to rise above $1.3481, the surge would propel it to nearly a one-year high.
Versus the euro, the moves in the pound were more contained, with the British currency trading up 0.1% versus the common currency at 88.78 pence.
London and Brussels this week continue their negotiations to agree a deal on their future trading relationship, though time is now running very short as Britain’s post-Brexit transition period ends in fewer than six weeks.
Without an agreement Britain would revert to trading with the EU on World Trade Organisation rules, an outcome both sides believe would disrupt their economies.
Most investors believe a deal will be clinched, even if it is a bare-bones one that leaves some trade discussions for later. (Reporting by Olga Cotaga, editing by Larry King)
Reuters Breakingviews is the world’s leading source of agenda-setting financial insight. As the Reuters brand for financial commentary, we dissect the big business and economic stories as they break around the world every day. A global team of about 30 correspondents in New York, London, Hong Kong and other major cities provides expert analysis in real time.
Several Apple TV + users have reported that they have received messages from Apple in which the company says they will receive credit every month from November 2020 to January 2021 as a thank you for subscribing to their service. streaming.
The amount of credit varies by country, but everything seems to indicate that for Spain it would be € 4.99, as is happening in the United States with $ 4.99, or 4.99 pounds in the United Kingdom. Basically, Apple offers subscribers three months free.
The credit is added to the user’s Apple ID so that it can be used to pay or rent, for example, movies, games, and other Apple services.
Many of those with Apple TV + subscriptions have never had to pay Apple anything. Since November 2019, Apple has been offering a free one-year subscription to Apple TV + with the purchase of many products (iPhone, Apple TV, iPad, or Mac).
Some of those one year free subscriptions They might have been sold out in early November 2020, but Apple has extended it another three months, so even those who have already had Apple TV + free for a year will continue to get the service for free until February.
Free subscriber credit is probably Apple’s way of thanking you and compensating you for the fact that Apple has expanded free subscriptions.
As for why Apple is extending free subscriptions, we think it may be because many of the second seasons in which the company was hoping to be a draw have been delayed because of the Coronavirus.
If you are not subscribed yet, discover the best Apple TV + series.
Also discover how to unsubscribe from Apple TV + if that’s what you want.
This article has been published by Viktor Eriksson in Macworld Sweden.
The British Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, and the president of the European Commission (EC), Ursula von der Leyen, they agreed ‘Redouble efforts’ towards a post-Brexit deal in a telephone conversation held this Saturday, a British government spokesman said.
The source noted that during the call, planned to Taking stock of the negotiationsJohnson noted that, while progress has been made, “significant differences persist in several areas” of common concern, including competition and fisheries.
The two leaders agreed that their respective teams will continue negotiations next Monday in London in order to “Redouble efforts to reach an agreement”, which would enter into force at the end, on December 31, of the post-Brexit transition period, which was formally executed on January 31.
For their part, Johnson and Von der Leyen “will remain in contact,” the spokesman said. If they fail to negotiate a bilateral pact, as of January 1, 2021, the United Kingdom and the European Union (EU) will start trading based on the generic, less beneficial regulations of the World Trade Organization (WTO).
In these last American electionss Meghan Markle has been encouraged to vote in its public comments. ‘Page Six’ has been confirmed by sources close to the Sussex that the Duchess voted days before by post, and they go further by adding that she would also have exercised her right as an American citizen if she continued to live in the United Kingdom.
At 76, Silvia from Sweden has not hesitated to open up and open up about the death of his mother, Alice Sommerlath. The queen, born in Germany, is one of the most loved and admired monarchs in Europe and if recently her social commitment grew and became effective, now she has decided that it is time for her people to understand the reasons why she fights so hard. against injustices.
The wife of King Carlos Gustavo has granted an interview with the station SVT where he has spoken of one of the saddest episodes of his life and to show that, sometimes, the procession goes inside. “You are happy on the outside, but inside you are crying”, has admitted.
The sovereign has been honest when dealing with the thorny issue of her mother’s death in 1997, after a long severe depression and a treatment that failed to dispel all that negativity it contained. The medication did not achieve the desired effect and it was then that another method was chosen which, however, did not obtain the expected result.
“They gave him medicine and electric shocks on both sides of his brain “, Silvia from Sweden has confessed about her mother, who soon after began to suffer from dementia, something that has always made her suspect that it was caused by the aforementioned shocks.
“Sometimes he asked about my late father. Over and over again and always had to explain to him that he was no longer alive, “commented the queen, who in turn explained how Alice Sommerlath’s mental deterioration process was, coming to suffer from large memory gaps in the palace.
Ultimately, when she was cared for by her daughter at Drottningholm Palace, He even forgot the names of his family members. Her death caused a reaction in Silvia from Sweden, who launched the Silviahemmet project, focused on support and care for people with dementia.
“It was normal to think that people simply forget when they reach old age. But it is a very serious degenerative brain disease. The patients need professional attention “, has declared the mother of the princesses Victoria and Magdalena.
BlizzConline will be the event to learn more about Overwatch 2, Diablo 4, and other games.
Blizzard It has been holding a face-to-face event for 15 years where it announces news for its video games, and where fans can meet to participate in all kinds of activities related to their favorite titles. As we already knew, the 2020 pandemic has caused this BlizzCon to become “BlizzConline“an exclusively digital edition destined to maintain tradition from a safer perspective. And with this new format, they also arrive monetization changes.
In a video reviewing Blizzard-related news, products and services, President J. Allen Brack announces that BlizzConline, dated to February 19 and 20, will be free for all viewers. This is, in part, a first for the event: although the opening ceremony has always been free to watch, the rest of the tournaments, contests and collectibles were part of a virtual ticket of 40 dollars / euros.
In spite of everything, a good part of the activities which WoW parents are accustomed to, including competitions, cosplay contests or the fun march of the murlocs, where fans interpret these tribal fish with greater or lesser visual fidelity. Of course, we will also have ads.
In this edition, we will have to closely track Overwatch 2 Y Diablo IV, among other novelties. The former will add campaign heroes and PvE content to Blizzard’s cooperative shooter, while the latter will take a more sinister and traditional approach to the loot progression-based RPG series. Neither has a release date for now.
Charles II of England had a hectic life. A woman he married in two separate ceremonies, no legitimate children, but a minimum of 12 with his lovers, a beheaded father, and himself spending nine years in exile before taking the thrones of England, Scotland and Ireland after the Cromwell’s death. He spent three of his years in exile in the Flemish city of Bruges and, grateful for their hospitality, in 1666 he awarded them the Privilegie der Visscherie, the privilege of fishermen who gave 50 boats from that city rights …
Royal families do not usually have few members, so Meghan Markle and the prince harry They could be gearing up for the announcement of the arrival of a new royal baby.
According to British media reports, the Duchess of Sussex; who won a motion to delay the court battle with the British tabloid for a “confidential” reason, is pregnant and will confirm soon.
According to the report, the judge Mark Warby granted the delay after Meghan’s team gave a “confidential reason” for doing so.
With information from El Farandi
Shortly after the judge’s comments, royal fans began speculating about Meghan Markle’s pregnancy; as he won the bid for a confidential reason that was shared by his legal team in court.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry became parents to their first child Archie Harrison in May 2019. It has never been confirmed whether the couple will attempt to have children again. But nevertheless; The former ‘Suits’ star is speculated to be pregnant and will confirm soon.
The tabloid, citing a source, stated: “It seems certain that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will join your family.”
Meghan would surely be delighted when she emerged victorious in her bid to have a privacy action against a tabloid newspaper postponed for about nine months until next fall.
The trial was to begin in London in January 2021.
Prince Harry’s wife is suing Associated Newspapers by articles in the Mail on Sunday which included parts of a handwritten letter he had sent to his father, Thomas Markle, in August 2018. “My conclusion is that the correct decision in all circumstances is to grant the request”, said the judge. “That means that the test date of January 11, 2021 will become vacant and the test will be rescheduled for a new date in the fall.”