Friday, 21 August 2026 Newsarchy UK live index
NewsarchyUKUK
Every UK story. Mapped, sourced, and explained where it matters.
World

Tiananmen vigil organisers found guilty of inciting subversion in Hong Kong

Prominent pro-democracy figures Chow Hang-tung and Lee Cheuk-yan have been convicted of inciting subversion in a national security trial.

Tiananmen vigil organisers found guilty of inciting subversion in Hong Kong
Tiananmen vigil organisers found guilty of inciting subversion in Hong Kong

Two prominent pro-democracy figures in Hong Kong have been found guilty of inciting subversion in a national security trial. The verdict, delivered at West Kowloon Court, marks another milestone in the transformation of the city's civil society. The panel of three government-approved judges rather than a jury presided over the proceedings, according to Radio New Zealand.

The defendants, human rights lawyer Chow Hang-tung and former opposition lawmaker Lee Cheuk-yan, served as leaders of the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China. The alliance organized annual candle-lit vigils at Victoria Park that provided the only large-scale public commemoration on Chinese soil of the 1989 Tiananmen Square crackdown. For three decades, mourners converged in Causeway Bay to fill multiple soccer pitches with candlelight before the tradition was halted.

Media additions

Image via abc.net.au
Image via abc.net.au
Image via aol.co.uk
Image via aol.co.uk
Image via jang.com.pk
Image via jang.com.pk

According to a press summary distributed at the court, the judges determined that the alliance's signature slogan, calling for an "end to one-party dictatorship," carried the meaning of overthrowing or undermining China's constitutional system. The panel concluded that the defendants intentionally encouraged supporters to await the right time to achieve that goal through unlawful means, as detailed by Asiaone.

Both defendants maintained their innocence throughout the proceedings. Representing herself in court, Chow argued that the slogan meant ending unrestricted power and moving toward a democratic system where the people decide leadership. Lee similarly told the court that their campaign advocated for democracy rather than subversion, according to Jang.

A third activist, veteran pro-democracy lawmaker Albert Ho, had previously entered a guilty plea, as noted by AOL. All three individuals have remained in pre-trial custody since their arrests following the implementation of the national security law introduced by Beijing in 2020 after massive anti-government protests convulsed the city in 2019.

International observers and human rights organizations have sharply criticized the verdict. Amnesty International described the prosecution as relying on vague and overly broad definitions of subversion, designating the convicted leaders as prisoners of conscience who should be released immediately, reported BBC News. Eric Lai, a senior fellow with the Georgetown Centre for Asian Law, told AsiaOne that the outcome demonstrates how closely Hong Kong's judiciary now mirrors the party-led system in mainland China.

Conversely, the Hong Kong and central Chinese governments have consistently defended the legislation. Authorities maintain that the national security laws were entirely necessary to restore order, stability, and public safety to the international financial hub following the unrest of 2019.

Case Background and Legal Proceedings

  • The Defendants: Chow Hang-tung and Lee Cheuk-yan (convicted after pleading not guilty); Albert Ho (previously pleaded guilty).
  • The Charges: Inciting subversion of state power under the China-imposed national security law.
  • Maximum Penalty: Up to 10 years in prison.
  • Trial Duration: Concluded after 24 days of proceedings.

Following the verdict, supporters gathered outside the courthouse under rainy conditions, where police monitored the queues and restricted sensitive materials. The annual Tiananmen vigils themselves have remained banned since 2020, with the former commemoration site at Victoria Park subsequently utilized for pro-Beijing carnivals and market stalls.

The convicted organizers face a separate sentencing hearing where they may present pleas for lesser penalties alongside Ho. Further developments, including the formal announcement of prison terms, are expected at a later date.

Related stories