Wednesday, 19 August 2026 Newsarchy UK live index
NewsarchyUKUK
Every UK story. Mapped, sourced, and explained where it matters.
World

German prosecutors arrest second Nord Stream suspect in Croatia

Croatian police detained a second Ukrainian national in Pula on a European arrest warrant issued by German prosecutors investigating the 2022 Nord Stream explosions.

German prosecutors arrest second Nord Stream suspect in Croatia
German prosecutors arrest second Nord Stream suspect in Croatia

On Wednesday, 19 August 2026 German federal prosecutors announced the arrest of a second Ukrainian national they allege participated in the September 2022 explosions that crippled the Nord Stream 1 and Nord Stream 2 gas pipelines. The development reshapes a case that has occupied European courts for nearly four years and revives questions about the sabotage’s origins, the accountability of state actors, and the security of Europe’s energy infrastructure.

The suspect, identified only as Vladimir Z., was taken into custody by the Istarska County Police Administration in the coastal city of Pula. Local officers acted on a European arrest warrant issued by the federal court in Karlsruhe, the venue that has jurisdiction because the damaged pipelines terminate in Germany’s Mecklenburg‑Vorpommern state. The authorities said Vladimir Z. Is a trained scuba diver and was part of a team led by former Ukrainian army officer Serhii K., the first suspect charged in July 2026 for orchestrating the blasts.

German prosecutors argue the operation’s objective was to permanently halt gas deliveries through the pipelines, thereby cutting off a source of revenue they contend Russia used to finance its war against Ukraine. While Russia and many Western governments have uniformly labelled the September 2022 explosions as sabotage, the precise chain of command behind the act remains contested.

Key moments in the investigation

  • September 2022 – Explosions damage Nord Stream 1 and the unfinished Nord Stream 2 near the Danish island of Bornholm.
  • July 2026 – German prosecutors charge former Ukrainian officer Serhii K. With directing the sabotage on behalf of Ukrainian state entities.
  • August 2025 – A Ukrainian national — later named Sergiy Kuznetsov — was arrested in Italy and transferred to Germany in November 2025.
  • 19 August 2026 – Croatian police detain Vladimir Z. In Pula; German prosecutors announce the arrest and request extradition.

The arrest follows the earlier detention of Sergiy Kuznetsov, who was captured in Italy in August 2025 and handed over to German authorities in November of the same year. Prosecutors describe both men as having collaborated via a yacht rented in Germany, using false identification documents to conceal their movements. While Kuznetsov’s case proceeded through the German courts, Vladimir Z.’s fate now hinges on the Croatian justice ministry’s decision on the extradition request.

“We are not able to confirm the identity of the arrested person at this moment,” the Istarska County Police Administration told Reuters, confirming the location and the procedure without disclosing further details. The Croatian justice ministry has not responded to requests for comment, and Florian Klein, a legal analyst at the University of Zagreb, cautions that “extradition processes in the EU can take weeks, especially when political sensitivities are involved.”

Kyiv’s reaction has been muted. Officials in Ukraine have said they lack sufficient information to comment on the German allegations, a stance echoed in both the Yahoo News report and the UK‑specific version of the story. The Ukrainian embassy in Berlin, contacted for comment, declined to elaborate, citing an ongoing legal process.

The broader geopolitical stakes are evident. At the time of the blasts, Moscow had already halted gas deliveries via Nord Stream 1, attributing the stoppage to Western sanctions and technical problems. European leaders, conversely, accused Russia of weaponising its energy supplies. German prosecutors maintain that the sabotage was designed to cut off Russia’s revenue stream, a claim that aligns with the EU’s strategic objective of reducing dependence on Russian gas.

Legal experts underscore why the case lands before German courts. “Because the pipelines terminate on German territory, any damage is deemed a direct threat to national security and public safety,” explains Dr Anna Schreiber, a professor of international law at the Humboldt University. “German jurisdiction therefore extends to the full investigative and prosecutorial process, even when foreign nationals are involved.”

The arrest also revives speculation about the logistical underpinnings of the operation. According to the Dailytimes piece, prosecutors allege that intermediaries rented a yacht in Germany under false identities, using it as a platform for the underwater dives integral to placing the explosives. Vladimir Z.’s expertise as a scuba diver, they say, was essential for the “important underwater dives” that facilitated the sabotage. While German authorities have not released forensic details, the description of a maritime component adds a new layer to the narrative that initially focused on the explosions themselves.

International reaction remains measured. Russian officials, who have repeatedly called the Nord Stream incidents “acts of sabotage” by unknown actors, have not directly addressed the latest arrest. In Moscow, state‑run media have reproduced the German statement without adding commentary, while Western capitals have reiterated that the investigation continues to serve “justice and transparency.”

What to watch next

  • Formal extradition hearing in Croatia – the timeline will depend on the Croatian justice ministry’s assessment of the European arrest warrant.
  • Potential trial in the federal court in Karlsruhe – prosecutors have indicated they will seek a comprehensive trial that could include both the July‑2026 charge against Serhii K. And the newly added evidence linked to Vladimir Z.
  • Further statements from Ukrainian authorities – Kyiv may issue a detailed response once the extradition decision is public.
  • Reactions from energy regulators – the European Commission may reference the case in ongoing assessments of pipeline security and diversification strategies.

While the legal process unfolds, the arrest underscores the enduring reverberations of the 2022 Nord Stream attacks. It also illustrates how cross‑border cooperation, between German prosecutors, Croatian police, and the broader European judicial framework, continues to shape the pursuit of accountability for one of the most high‑profile acts of sabotage in recent European history.

Related stories