Saturday, 22 August 2026 Newsarchy UK live index
NewsarchyUKUK
Every UK story. Mapped, sourced, and explained where it matters.
World

Iranian president says time to end war with US from position of strength

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has called for an end to the conflict with the United States, arguing that Tehran operates from a position of strength.

Iranian president says time to end war with US from position of strength
Iranian president says time to end war with US from position of strength

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has called for an end to the months-long conflict with the United States, arguing that Tehran is operating from a position of strength and dignity. Pezeshkian made the remarks during a meeting with doctors on Friday, asserting that the global community recognizes Iranian resilience while condemning American military actions against schools, hospitals, and infrastructure.

The war, initiated by the US and Israel in late February, has settled into a persistent stalemate. Diplomatic talks remain on hold, while military maneuvers continue across critical maritime choke points. Tehran has kept the vital Strait of Hormuz partially shut, while Washington maintains a naval counter-blockade. Despite these pressures, UK News reported that US naval forces have organized secret tanker convoys through the southern sector of the strait to facilitate ongoing oil exports.

Media additions

Image via uk.news.yahoo.com
Image via uk.news.yahoo.com
Image via thenews.com.pk
Image via thenews.com.pk
Image via dailytribunal24.com
Image via dailytribunal24.com

Pezeshkian’s push for a negotiated settlement follows an expired memorandum of understanding agreed upon in June. The Iranian president defended the agreement against domestic pushback from hardline lawmakers in parliament, who accused his administration of capitulation. Pezeshkian insisted that the deal contained no clauses indicating surrender. Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei previously stated he approved the accord despite holding differing views, though hardliners continue to challenge the government's approach.

The diplomatic friction coincides with a strategic pivot by Washington toward severe financial penalties rather than heavy military engagement. US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent vowed that the administration would collapse the Iranian regime through an impending sanctions campaign. Bessent stated that these economic measures reduce the likelihood of returning to intensive military operations. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi dismissed the planned penalties on social media, characterizing them as a diversion from American debt and surging interest costs.

In response to the threatened financial measures, Iran's foreign ministry condemned the strategy as economic terrorism and crimes against humanity, arguing that the instigators deserve punishment. Meanwhile, the Daily Tribunal noted that the US also imposed new sanctions on Lebanon's Hezbollah movement, tying the group directly to the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps.

International reactions have highlighted divisions over the sanctions approach. Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Lin Jian stated that pressure and sanctions will not resolve the issue, urging diplomatic solutions instead. Beijing's stance comes as Washington attempts to rally international support to isolate the Iranian economy.

Key Diplomatic and Economic Developments

  • February: Conflict begins following strikes initiated by the US and Israel.
  • June: An initial memorandum of understanding aimed at ending the war is agreed upon, later expiring amid domestic criticism in Tehran.
  • Friday: President Pezeshkian calls for an end to the war from a position of strength; China rejects new US sanctions strategies.
  • Monday: US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent is scheduled to hold a press conference detailing the new economic sanctions.
  • September 24: Chinese President Xi Jinping is due to visit the White House, where discussions are expected to cover the Iran situation.

As the conflict nears its six-month mark, military officials in Tehran maintain that their armed forces remain prepared to issue devastating responses to new threats. Major-General Ali Abdollahi, chief of staff of Iran's armed forces, affirmed the military's readiness across all domains. Meanwhile, regional actors such as Oman have engaged in diplomatic phone calls with Iranian counterparts to explore pathways for resuming dialogue and managing navigation through the Strait of Hormuz, according to Malay Mail.

What happens next depends heavily on upcoming announcements from Washington. Treasury chief Scott Bessent is set to provide concrete details regarding the expanded economic penalties at a Department of the Treasury press conference. Simultaneously, international attention will shift toward Washington ahead of the diplomatic summit between US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping.

Related stories